Velocity of a particle problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the velocity and acceleration of a particle with a given displacement function. The conversation covers using kinematic equations and differential calculus to solve the problem. The solution involves differentiating the displacement function to find the velocity and acceleration functions.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

Hi just having a problem with this question not sure how to start if off because I only have two variables instead of three. I also think I am working out the velocity wrong. I have solutions for the questions.
The displacement of a particle is given by the expression s = 2t^3 - 3t^2 + 6t - 5 (mm)
Determine (i) The velocity after 2 s. Answer v=18mm/s
(ii) The acceleration after 3s Answer a=30mm/s^2

Homework Equations

v= u+at
s=ut +1/2 at^2
v^2 = u^2+2as

velocity = s / t
acceleration =change in v/ time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have put the time 2s into the equation above and have came out with displacement of 11.
I have tried to use the formula v = s/t, 11/2 = 5.5. Where have I went wrong have I used the wrong equation or is there something I am missing.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the displacement isn't uniform, you're looking for the slope of the tangent to that function at that point in time. How would you go about finding it?

The usual kinematic equations that you list under Relevant Equations apply when the motion is governed by constant acceleration. In this case you are given a function representing the displacement with respect to time that contains cubic, square, and linear components, making the acceleration vary with time.

This means that you'll have to fall back on the fundamental relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration, namely how they are related through differential calculus; v = ds/dt, a = dv/dt.

Sorry I don't really get this. My notes say that if displacement is a function of time, then velocity will be a function of displacement, i.e. v or w = rate of displacement. Hence, acceleration will be a function of velocity, i.e. a = rate of change of velocity.i.e. s=f(t) therefore v=f(s) = ds/dt

also a = f(v) = dv/dt = d^2s/ dt^2.

So say for instance, I am getting 11 as my displacement from the equation at the beginning and v=f(s) = ds/dt v seems to me as if it would be 11/2. I just can't think of any other way that this could be done.

You have a function for the displacement with respect to time. Differentiate it with respect to time to find the function for the velocity with respect to time. Differentiate again to find the acceleration with respect to time.

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. It can be represented by the equation v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is the change in position, and ∆t is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity also includes the direction of the motion.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object's speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object's speed will decrease.

5. How can velocity be represented graphically?

Velocity can be represented graphically by plotting the object's position on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the line on the graph represents the object's velocity. A positive slope indicates motion in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates motion in the negative direction.