Velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a piston connected to a rotating wheel with two shafts. The velocity of the piston is being calculated at a specific moment in time based on the given angular speed of the wheel and the position and rate of change of angle of three points on the wheel. The attempted solution involves using basic trigonometry and implicit differentiation to find the velocity, but there is no sensible answer due to a lack of a mechanical constraint in the problem.
afaiyaz
hr3nr5

Homework Statement

In the figure, a piston P is connected to a cylinder. The piston is connected to a rotating wheel with two shafts AB and BC. The shaft AB is connected on the periphery of the wheel. The wheel is rotating with angular speed ω= 100 rad s-1. At the moment A,C and the center of the wheel is collinear and θ=30° and dθ/dt = 500 rad s-1 , what is the velocity of the piston? (AB = 1.5m, BC = 1m)

Homework Equations

a2 = b2+c2-2abcosθ
Basic Trigonometry
Implicit DIfferentiation
dx/dt = dx/dθ × dθ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the linking rods are rigid, they must maintain their length throughout.
ebo1jQ

From the diagram, I assumed a pathway of shaft AB (denoted by y) and used it to find x, which I presumed is the horizontal motion of shaft BC. The rate of change of x with respect to time is, therefore, the velocity of the piston.

My working is as follows:
tan 60 = 1.5/y
∴y=√3/2 m.
Using sine rule,
sin C = y × (sin 120/1)
∴ C = 48.6°
sin (11.4) / x = sin (120) / 1
∴ x=0.228

Using cosine rule,
y2+x2+xy = 1
(2y × dy/dt) + (2x × dx/dt) + (x × dy/dt) + (y × dx/dt) = 0
∴ dx/dt = (- (2y+x) × dy/dt) / (2y+x)

dy/dt = 500 × 1.5 = 750 m/s
Plugging in values of y,x and dy/dt, I get -1111.9≈-1112 m/s.

I feel like this answers very unrealistic as it is more than 3.5 times the speed of sound. Could anyone point out where the mistake is? Could there be a completely different approach to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to upload the figure.

as.jpg

the original figure
as2.jpg

Why didn't you consider ##\omega## in your solution?

This is either a trick question or it was set by an academic with no knowledge of mechanisms .

There is no sensible answer .

Do I have to? @arpon bro
If so, how do I use it in the solution?

What do you mean by 'no sensible answer'? @Nidum
Could you please clarify?

afaiyaz said:
Do I have to? @arpon bro
If so, how do I use it in the solution?
If ##\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 0## and ##\omega## is nonzero, will the piston move? What do you think?
Drawing diagrams may help.

I think it should because, even if [tex] \frac{dθ}{dt}=0[/tex], the wheel is still rotating so there's ω.There may be no angualr velocity of the shaft AB along centre A, but there is the ω of the wheel. And if that's the case, I think ω has to be considered for calculating piston's velocity, although I'm not sure how to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
afaiyaz said:
What do you mean by 'no sensible answer'? @Nidum
Could you please clarify?
Because you could keep the position of C fixed and the wheel could still rotate. B will just move back and forth in an arc centred on C.
To make sense of the question there needs to beanother mechanical constraint.

Likes Nidum

What is the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism?

The velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism is the speed at which the piston moves up and down within the cylinder of the engine. It is measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

How is the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism calculated?

The velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the piston by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity and is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

What factors can affect the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism?

Several factors can affect the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism, including the size and weight of the piston, the amount of force applied by the engine, and any resistance or friction within the mechanism.

Why is the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism important?

The velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism is important because it directly affects the power and efficiency of the engine. A higher velocity means the piston is moving faster, which can result in more power output from the engine.

How can the velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism be controlled?

The velocity of a piston in a piston-shaft mechanism can be controlled by adjusting the engine's throttle, which regulates the amount of fuel and air entering the engine. Other factors such as the size and weight of the piston and the design of the piston-shaft mechanism can also be altered to control the velocity.