1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Velocity of a trolley on an inclined plane with a twist

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    A friend asked me how to solve this problem:

There is a trolley of mass M[tex]_{o}[/tex]kg on a fixed inclined plane, whose angle of inclination is [tex]\theta[/tex]. The block is at a height Hmetres, at the top of the inclined plane. Coefficient of friction is [tex]\mu[/tex]. It is also known that it is raining, and the rain drops are falling with a velocity ums[tex]^{-1}[/tex] at the rate of [tex]\eta[/tex] kgs[tex]^{-1}[/tex]. The rain is also falling, making an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] with the ground. The trolley is released from rest at t=0. Find the velocity v of the trolley when it reaches the bottom.

I solved this question and ended up with a big differential equation in terms of dv and dt. However, part of the equation contains a dx (displacement along the plane) with t in the denominator that I am unable to get rid of. The only way I can do so is by means of a relation between displacement and time. Could someone help me with this part?

The problems I'm facing are:
    (i) acceleration is varying
    (ii) velocity is varying
    (iii) I'm unable to get a constraint independent of velocity of the trolley.

I've attached a .bmp of the figure. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted