Velocity of air through an open nozzle

In summary, the velocity of air through an open nozzle is dependent on the pressure at the inlet of the nozzle and downstream pressure of the nozzle. At 100psig, it can be about 60scfm.
jfischer
I am trying to figure the velocity of air through an open nozzle. We are contemplating using air to dry parts on an conveyer. I am curious to know how much CFM will be expeled. I have searched many of my refrence books with no success. If the compressor which is also providing air for several other pieces of equipment maintanes a pressure between 70 and 100 PSI and the nozzle is apx 1/4" in diamter what will be the velocity of the air through the nozzle? More importantly how do you relate the pressure to the velocity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That depends upon the actual pressure at the inlet of the nozzle and downstream pressure of the nozzle. At 100psig, it can be about 60scfm. This is a ballpark figure and you should get your hands on Crane Technical Paper 410, the best reference I have ever seen and widely referred world over. At 40USD, it is an invaluable tool.

You'll need to know the pressure drop at the throat of the nozzle plus the discharge coefficient for that nozzle. If it is a nozzle that is purchased from a vendor, the vendor should have an acceptable calculation for you to use. If that is not the case then you can at least get a good approximation using the standard nozzle equation:

[tex]q = YCA \sqrt{\frac{2g(144) \Delta P}{\rho}}[/tex]

Where:
[tex]q[/tex] = Volumetric flow in [tex]\frac{ft^3}{sec}[/tex]

[tex]Y[/tex] = Expansion Factor

[tex]C[/tex] = Flow coefficient. C can be calculated from the discharge coefficient by:

[tex]C = \frac{C_d}{\sqrt{1-\beta^4}}[/tex]

[tex]\beta[/tex] = Ratio of small to large diameters in the nozzle and pipe

[tex]A[/tex] = Cross sectional area in ft^2

[tex]g[/tex] = Acceleration due to gravity 32.2[tex]\frac{ft}{sec^2}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta P[/tex] = Pressure differential across nozzle in [tex]\frac{Lb_f}{in^2}[/tex]

[tex]\rho[/tex] = Weight density in [tex]\frac{Lb_f}{ft^3}[/tex]

I'll reiterate Quark's suggestion to get Crane's TP. It's worth it's weight in gold.

thanks for the help. An aproximation will be enough and I will look into the refrence suggested.

1. What is the velocity of air through an open nozzle?

The velocity of air through an open nozzle is dependent on various factors such as the size and shape of the nozzle, pressure and temperature of the air, and the design of the system. It can range from a few meters per second to supersonic speeds.

2. How does the size of the nozzle affect the velocity of air?

The size of the nozzle has a direct impact on the velocity of air. A smaller nozzle will result in a higher velocity as the same amount of air has to pass through a smaller area. On the other hand, a larger nozzle will result in a lower velocity as the air has more space to flow through.

3. What is the relationship between air pressure and velocity through a nozzle?

The velocity of air through a nozzle is inversely proportional to the air pressure. This means that as the air pressure increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa. This can be explained by the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the pressure of a fluid increases, its velocity decreases.

4. How does the temperature of the air affect the velocity through a nozzle?

The temperature of the air also has a direct impact on the velocity through a nozzle. As the temperature increases, the air molecules gain more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in a higher velocity. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will result in a lower velocity of air through the nozzle.

5. What factors influence the design of a nozzle for optimal air velocity?

The design of a nozzle is influenced by various factors such as the desired velocity, the type of fluid or gas, the pressure and temperature of the system, and the intended application. The shape and size of the nozzle, as well as any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path, can also affect the velocity of air through the nozzle.