Velocity of kingfisher problem

• Thread starter LastBloomingFlower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a kingfisher dropping a fish and another kingfisher diving to catch it before it hits the water. The second bird must have an initial speed of 2.08m/s in order to catch the fish in 2.47 seconds. This is calculated using the projectile motion equation, with the initial velocity of the fish being 0 and the acceleration being 9.8m/s^2 due to gravity.
LastBloomingFlower
So I can NOT understand what to even do first... Please help me!

A kingfisher is 30m above a lake when it accidentally drops a fish. A second kingfish 5m above the first dives toward the fish,. What's the initial speed it needs to catch the fish just before it reaches the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the 2nd bird will go into a nose dive and its acceleration will simply be gravity.

first realize that the initial velocity of the fish will be 0 since it is simply dropped so start with the projectile motion equation...

xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2

xf = final position
xi = initial position
vi = intial velocity
t = time
a = acceleration

set the 0 level at the 2nd bird...

xf = 35m
xi = 5m
vi = 0
t = unknown
a = 9.8m/s^2

plug those into the equation to get time = 2.47s
so now we know that the 2nd bird has 2.47 seconds to catch the fish before it hits the water

use the same equation with the info for the 2nd bird.

xf = xi + vit + 1/2at^2
35 = 0 + (vi)(2.47) + (1/2)(9.8)(2.47)^2
vi = 2.08 m/s

so the 2nd bird had to start his dive going 2.08m/s to be able to catch the fish.

Ok Thanks so much. I started out that way but I got stuck!

1. What is the velocity of a kingfisher?

The velocity of a kingfisher can vary depending on factors such as wind conditions and the type of flight it is performing. However, on average, a kingfisher can fly at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour.

2. How does the velocity of a kingfisher compare to other birds?

The velocity of a kingfisher is considered to be quite fast compared to other birds. For example, the average flying speed of a pigeon is around 35 miles per hour, while a falcon can reach speeds of up to 200 miles per hour.

3. What helps a kingfisher achieve such high velocity?

A kingfisher's streamlined body and powerful wings help it achieve high velocities. They also have a unique aerodynamic shape and a small body size, which allows them to fly quickly and efficiently through the air.

4. Can a kingfisher maintain its velocity underwater?

Yes, a kingfisher is able to maintain its velocity underwater thanks to its streamlined body and powerful wings. They are one of the few bird species that can dive into the water and swim to catch their prey.

5. How is the velocity of a kingfisher measured?

The velocity of a kingfisher can be measured using a variety of methods, such as radar guns, GPS tracking devices, or high-speed cameras. Scientists also use mathematical equations and formulas to calculate the velocity based on factors such as body size, wing shape, and air resistance.