Find Velocity of 2nd Ball Thrown at 25 Degrees - 6.32 m/s

• Thread starter BunDa4Th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, to find the speed at which the second ball must be thrown to reach the same height as the vertically thrown ball, we use the equation V_0y = Vosin25 where V_0y is the vertical component of the velocity and V_0 is the initial velocity. After setting up the equation, we get Vo = 6.32 m/s. The mistake made was thinking that the second ball needed to travel the same horizontal distance as the first ball, when in fact the vertical component of the velocity was the key factor.
BunDa4Th
A ball is thrown straight upward and returns to the thrower's hand after 2.50 s in the air. A second ball is thrown at an angle of 25.0° with the horizontal. At what speed must the second ball be thrown so that it reaches the same height as the one thrown vertically? m/s

okay, I am not sure what I am doing wrong here:

to find deltaY it would be deltay = -1/2(g)(t)^2 = deltay -1/2(-9.8)(2.50)^2

deltay = 30.63

now i know that deltaX = 30.63 because that is the same distance the first ball is.

V_0y = Vosin25 and V_0x = Vocos25

when setting up the eqaution i should get 30.63 = (V_0^2)/(9.8) x sin2(25)

30.63/sin2(25) = Vo^2/9.8 which then become Vo^2 = 39.98 Vo = 6.32

which is incorrect. What mistake or what steps should I be following.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need any squares for this problem. The vertical component of the velocity of the 2nd ball needs to equal the vertical component of the first ball's velocity. What is the vertical component of the 2nd ball's velocity?

Okay, I was finally able to figure this out when I took my test today. Thanks for the input. I made a mistake of thinking that how far must the ball go to reach the same height distance of the first which was a big mistake I did.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of the second ball thrown at 25 degrees?

The velocity of the second ball thrown at 25 degrees can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (in this case 6.32 m/s), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the initial velocity of the second ball?

The initial velocity of the second ball is 6.32 m/s. This value is given in the problem statement.

3. Is the angle of 25 degrees necessary for calculating the velocity of the second ball?

Yes, the angle of 25 degrees is necessary for calculating the velocity of the second ball. This angle determines the direction of the ball's motion and affects the final velocity.

4. Can the velocity of the second ball be negative?

Yes, the velocity of the second ball can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the ball is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

5. How does the mass of the second ball affect its velocity?

The mass of the second ball does not affect its velocity in this problem. The formula v = u + at only takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. The mass of the ball would only affect its velocity if air resistance or external forces were involved.