Please confirm which solution -- Ball is thrown from a tower....

In summary, a ball is thrown from a tower 70.0m high with an initial velocity of 3.00 m/s. After 2.00 seconds, its velocity will be -22.6 m/s assuming downward is the positive direction and neglecting air resistance. The teacher's answer of -42.2 m/s is incorrect and may have been due to a typo or an outdated edition of the question. Velocity is a vector quantity and its direction should be taken into account when interpreting a problem.
Julie

Homework Statement

Question is: Suppose a ball is thrown from a tower 70.0m high with an initial velocity of 3.00 m/s. What will it's speed be after 2.00s? Assume downward is the positive direction and neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

I have a quiz on Monday in Physics and thought I understood the concepts. My teacher sent us an answer key to some practice questions we are using to study with. His solution differs from mine, and appears to make no sense unless I am missing a step. Could I get someone to clarify which answer is correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Teacher's Answer:[/B] vf= (-3) + (-9.8)(2) = -42.2 m/s
My Answer: vf= (-3) + (-9.8)(2) = = -22.6

Physics news on Phys.org
Those two expressions are exactly the same; only the right-hand sides differ.

Also, if you treat downwards as the positive direction, then why is the gravitational acceleration negative?

Julie said:
vf= (-3) + (-9.8)(2) = -42.2 m/s
Your teacher typed (-3) + (-9.8)(4) into the calculator. Or if this is from a textbook, maybe an earlier edition had 4s and the answer key was not updated when the question was modified. That is an annoyingly frequent occurrence.

Haruspex - thanks so much. Good to know I am not losing my mind. I do have another question since you were so helpful. My original answer was a positive one since the question specifies to assume that downward is the positive direction. I changed it when I realized he is obviously considering down to be negative regardless. Given his answer was wrong, I have less confidence. If question specifies down being positive direction, can correct answer be negative?

Hi Julie,

In future, please make sure that your thread title describes the nature of the physics problem being addressed in the post rather than just a plea for help in general. This is so that homework helpers can quickly locate threads that pertain to their area of interest or skill set.

I find the problem statement as written to be rather vague: It doesn't specify whether what direction the ball is initially thrown (it could be up, down, or something else altogether!). The direction would affect the results.

Also, quite often "speed" is interpreted to mean an absolute (positive) scalar quantity. If direction is to be included then it is called "velocity", which is a vector quantity. In this sense, speed is the magnitude of the velocity. You'll often find velocity to be stated in terms of speed and direction, such as "32 m/s to the left".

Thanks for the constructive criticism about the posting guidelines. I will remember that in the future. The question was a two part one - the first part indicating that the ball was dropped from a tower - then parameters were changed so it was thrown with a velocity of 3. So, the question assumes the ball was thrown downward. Would both 22.6 downward and -22.6 be correct answers?

Julie said:
Would both 22.6 downward and -22.6 be correct answers?
No, since you're told to assume that downwards is the positive direction, and the ball will definitely be moving downwards. So both speed and velocity will have positive values under those circumstances.

Had the ball been moving upwards (for some reason), then its velocity would be negative using that coordinate system. Its speed would still be positive (being the magnitude of the velocity).

Thanks so very much. I promise to remember posting guidelines in the future

gneill said:
No, since you're told to assume that downwards is the positive direction, and the ball will definitely be moving downwards. So both speed and velocity will have positive values under those circumstances.

Had the ball been moving upwards (for some reason), then its velocity would be negative using that coordinate system. Its speed would still be positive (being the magnitude of the velocity).
Just to add, since down is positive the acceleration should be +9.8m/s2, giving 3+(9.8)2.

1. What is the initial velocity of the ball when it is thrown from the tower?

The initial velocity of the ball depends on the strength and angle of the throw. It can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the ball is in the air.

2. How does the height of the tower affect the flight of the ball?

The height of the tower affects the flight of the ball by increasing the potential energy of the ball at the start of the throw. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the ball falls, resulting in a longer flight time and greater horizontal distance.

3. Does air resistance have an impact on the trajectory of the ball?

Yes, air resistance does have an impact on the trajectory of the ball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance which slows it down and can alter its trajectory. This is more noticeable for objects with a larger surface area, such as a flat sheet of paper.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its flight?

The mass of the ball has a minimal effect on its flight as long as it is small compared to the mass of the Earth. The acceleration due to gravity is constant regardless of the mass of the object, so the flight time and horizontal distance will not be significantly affected by the mass of the ball.

5. Can the ball be thrown at an angle other than horizontal?

Yes, the ball can be thrown at any angle. The angle at which it is thrown will affect the initial horizontal and vertical velocities of the ball, resulting in a different trajectory. This can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the equations of motion.