Velocity-Time relationship for acceleration/deceleration

In summary, the driver is trying to work out the velocity-time relationship for a vehicle under certain conditions. The 'certain conditions' are: deceleration due to aerodynamic drag and rolling friction, and acceleration due to an engine less drag and friction. The driver tried to do model this in two ways, but found the deceleration to be quite fast with radians and very slow with degrees.
grey
Not sure if the question is sophisticated enough to be posted here, but here goes...

I am trying to work out the velocity-time relationship for a vehicle under certain conditions. The 'certain conditions' are:
1. deceleration due to aerodynamic drag and rolling friction
2. acceleration due to an engine less drag and friction

now, i will address the deceleration first. I tried to do model this in two ways:
a) Equilibrium of forces giving: -D - f = ma (where D=drag, f=friction). putting in the known values, i get the value of acceleration in terms of velocity as:
a = -0.00075v2-0.2943
i know that a=dv/dt, so re-arranging, i get: dt=dv/a as a=f(v)
Integrating this, i got:
v = 19.8 x tan (((t1-t)/67.3) - tan-1(v/19.8))
now, QUESTION: does this formulation make sense? and second, would the angle be in radians or degrees?

i put in values both in degrees and radians, but found the deceleration to be quite fast with radians and very slow with degrees. By fast and slow, i mean not in sync with practice. For example:
with radians, the vehicle goes from 10 m/s to 5m/s in 15s with a fairly constant gradient. Does it make sense?

b) with the basic conservation of energy equation, starting from:
KE1 - (Pf + PD)xt = KE2
Putting the values in, i got this relationship b/w time-velocity:
t = 666.7 x (100 - v2)/(v x (v2+392.4))
the deceleration (v-t) curve i got was more moderate, with a markedly decreasing gradient
QUESTION: How do these two methods compare?
What am i doing wrong?
What else should i be doing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, both a) and b) look fine. Whichever way you choose, you should realize that you have a nonlinear differential equation. I don't myself know how to analytically solve those (get an equation), though I can get MATLAB to simulate it and plot the results.

What is the initial speed?

Oh, and radians. The radian is the fundamental "unit" for angles. Degrees are derived from radians. Calculators use radians unless you somehow tell it you want degrees.

hey tyroman and bluelave0207,

thanks a lot for your replies. I managed to solve the DE and the result was pretty much similar to the one i posted above: v = 19.8 x tan (((t1-t)/67.3) - tan-1(v/19.8)). Confirmed it in some book as well.

However, now i am stuck at the 2nd case:
"2. acceleration due to an engine less drag and friction"
In the solutions to the DE with the added term of engine torque (from the Newton's second law formulation), I haven't been able to work it out properly because there is always some sort of thing that shouldn't be there like the natural log of a negative number or square root of a negative number. Any ideas? I can post my attempts if someone want to have a look...

Related to Velocity-Time relationship for acceleration/deceleration

What is the velocity-time relationship for acceleration?

The velocity-time relationship for acceleration is a mathematical equation that describes the change in an object's velocity over time as it accelerates. It is represented as v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How is acceleration calculated using the velocity-time relationship?

Acceleration can be calculated by rearranging the velocity-time relationship equation to a = (v - u) / t. This means that acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration in the velocity-time relationship?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing over time, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing over time. This can be seen in the velocity-time graph as a positive or negative slope, respectively.

How does the velocity-time relationship relate to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In the velocity-time relationship, acceleration is represented by the slope of the velocity-time graph, which means that the steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration and therefore the greater the net force acting on the object.

How can the velocity-time relationship be used to solve real-world problems?

The velocity-time relationship can be used to calculate various quantities related to acceleration and deceleration, such as the time taken for an object to reach a certain velocity or the distance traveled during a specific acceleration. It can also be used in designing vehicles and predicting their motion, as well as in analyzing the forces acting on a moving object.