Velocity vs. Time Graph: Analyzing Slope Below X-Axis

In summary: However, in the given scenario, the initial velocity at 3 seconds is -30 m/s and the final velocity at 6 seconds is 0 m/s, which means the velocity is decreasing. Therefore, the acceleration should be negative, not positive.
Gear2d
I have question about the velocity vs. time graph about a slope that is below the x-axis. I was doing a problem about this:

I have the x-axis as my time and y-axis as my velocity. Now at 3 seconds where velocity is -30 m/s to 6 seconds where velocity is 0 m/s, is acceleration "+" because it is in the same direction as velocity (since velocity is getting more positive and positive, -30, -25, -15,...)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Becuase t=6 seconds occurs later than t=3 seconds you should use v(3)=-30 as the *initial* velocity and v(6)=0 as the *final* velocity. Correct that and then you'll get the correct answer. Makes sense right?

Gear2d said:
I have question about the velocity vs. time graph about a slope that is below the x-axis. I was doing a problem about this:

I have the x-axis as my time and y-axis as my velocity. Now at 3 seconds where velocity is -30 m/s to 6 seconds where velocity is 0 m/s, is acceleration "+" because it is in the same direction as velocity (since velocity is getting more positive and positive, -30, -25, -15,...)?
Acceleration can be defined as the time derivative of velocity, which is the gradient on the velocity - time curve. So yes, if the gradient of the curve is positive (i.e. velocity is increasing) then the acceleration is positive.

1. What is a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over a period of time. It plots the velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.

2. How is slope calculated on a velocity vs. time graph?

The slope on a velocity vs. time graph is calculated by dividing the change in velocity (rise) by the change in time (run). This can be represented as the rise over run or ∆v/∆t.

3. What does a negative slope below the x-axis indicate on a velocity vs. time graph?

A negative slope below the x-axis indicates that the object is slowing down. This means that the velocity is decreasing over time.

4. How can you determine the acceleration of an object from a velocity vs. time graph?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by calculating the slope of the line at any given point on the graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration.

5. What happens when the slope on a velocity vs. time graph is zero?

When the slope on a velocity vs. time graph is zero, it indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating or decelerating, and its speed is staying the same over time.