Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity vs.Time graph

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    I have question about the velocity vs. time graph about a slope that is below the x-axis. I was doing a problem about this:

I have the x-axis as my time and y-axis as my velocity. Now at 3 seconds where velocity is -30 m/s to 6 seconds where velocity is 0 m/s, is acceleration "+" because it is in the same direction as velocity (since velocity is getting more positive and positive, -30, -25, -15,...)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2

uart

Science Advisor

Becuase t=6 seconds occurs later than t=3 seconds you should use v(3)=-30 as the *initial* velocity and v(6)=0 as the *final* velocity. Correct that and then you'll get the correct answer. Makes sense right?

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Acceleration can be defined as the time derivative of velocity, which is the gradient on the velocity - time curve. So yes, if the gradient of the curve is positive (i.e. velocity is increasing) then the acceleration is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?