What Units Should Acceleration Be Measured In?

In summary, the x-axis represents minutes and the y-axis represents m/min. The acceleration can be calculated by finding the slope of the graph. While m/min^2 is not a standard unit for acceleration, it is still acceptable to use. However, meters and seconds are the SI units for time and distance, making m/s^2 the international standard for acceleration. It is always possible to convert between m/s^2 and m/min^2.
J_o_S
the x-axis is in minutes, the y-axis is in m/min.

I know that the acceleration = the slope.

should my final answer be in m/min^2 ?

or should acceleration always be in m/s^2 ?

or does it not matter? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing wrong with m/min^2 aside from it not being standard. Your best bet is just graphing it against seconds by converting your data from minutes to seconds BEFORE graphing.

yeah if I was taking down the data I would.
This is just a question on an assignment, where the graph is given.

Its an easy question, but after I did it the answer just doesn't look right to me, so I figured I'd ask.

acceleration has been in m/s^2 everytime I have come across it.

That is because meters and seconds are the SI units for time and distance. It is the international standard.

As whozum said, no problem at all. The important thing is that the units are distance over time squared. Remember that you can always convert between the standard m/s^2 and the non-standard m/min^2.

1. What is a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity (speed and direction) over a period of time. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents velocity.

2. How is velocity calculated from a velocity vs. time graph?

Velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph. The slope is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time.

3. What does a flat line on a velocity vs. time graph represent?

A flat line on a velocity vs. time graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a consistent speed and direction over time.

4. How can acceleration be determined from a velocity vs. time graph?

Acceleration can be determined by looking at the shape of the line on the graph. If the line is straight, the acceleration is constant. If the line is curved, the acceleration is changing. The steeper the slope of the line, the greater the acceleration.

5. Can negative velocity be shown on a velocity vs. time graph?

Yes, negative velocity can be shown on a velocity vs. time graph. It is represented by a line below the x-axis, indicating that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive velocity.