Vergard's Law Help - Get References & Read About It

• Thread starter gjfelix2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, Vegard's Law is an empirical rule that states the lattice parameter of an alloy is a linear function of composition, as long as the crystal structure remains unchanged. This can be useful for predicting the lattice parameter of alloys based on known parameters of individual elements. A paper by Denton and Ashcroft, published in Phys Rev A, discusses this concept further. However, if you are unable to access the article, you may be able to find it through your university library.
gjfelix2001
Hi, can anyone give me references about the Vergard's Law, i have heard about it through a couple of papers, but i haven't found a thing in my books. Where can i read about it? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Vegard's law is an empirical rule that's approximately true for many alloys, and it says that so long as changing concentration of an alloying element does not result in a change in crystal structure, the lattice parameter is a linear function of composition (at fixed temperature).

So, for instance, if I know the lattice parameter of GaAs and that of AlAs, then I can linearly interpolate to find the approximate lattice parameter of any Ga1-xAlxAs.

PS: See, for instance, Denton and Ashcroft, Phys Rev A 43, 3161 (1991)
http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PRA/v43/i6/p3161_1

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, and help again :)

Thanks a lot for this information. I want to read the article you recommend me, but it ask for a password, obviously i don't have one, so do you know another free source of information about this ? every website that has information or papers about this isn't free. I am only and student and i can't pay 30 dollars for an article.

gjfelix2001 said:
I am only and student and i can't pay 30 dollars for an article.

If you're a university student, your library should carry Phys Rev A.

Related to Vergard's Law Help - Get References & Read About It

1. What is Vergard's Law and why is it important?

Vergard's Law is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between the lattice constant and composition of solid solutions. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the properties of materials, such as their strength, conductivity, and optical properties.

2. How can I find references and resources about Vergard's Law?

There are several ways to access references and information about Vergard's Law. You can search for scholarly articles and books using databases such as Google Scholar, ScienceDirect, or JSTOR. You can also consult with experts in the field, attend conferences and seminars, or join online forums and communities.

3. What are some practical applications of Vergard's Law?

Vergard's Law has many practical applications in various fields, including materials science, engineering, and chemistry. It is used to design and engineer new materials with specific properties, such as in the development of alloys, semiconductors, and composites. It also helps in the analysis and optimization of existing materials for different applications.

4. Can Vergard's Law be applied to all types of materials?

While Vergard's Law is primarily used for solid solutions, it can also be applied to other types of materials, such as polymers, ceramics, and liquids. However, the law may not be as accurate for these materials compared to solid solutions.

5. Is there ongoing research and development related to Vergard's Law?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development related to Vergard's Law. Scientists are continuously studying its applications, limitations, and potential extensions. New techniques and methods are also being developed to improve the accuracy and applicability of the law.