Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vergard's Law help¡¡

1. Dec 2, 2006 #1
    Hi, can anyone give me references about the Vergard's Law, i have heard about it through a couple of papers, but i haven't found a thing in my books. Where can i read about it??? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Vegard's law is an empirical rule that's approximately true for many alloys, and it says that so long as changing concentration of an alloying element does not result in a change in crystal structure, the lattice parameter is a linear function of composition (at fixed temperature).

So, for instance, if I know the lattice parameter of GaAs and that of AlAs, then I can linearly interpolate to find the approximate lattice parameter of any Ga1-xAlxAs.

PS: See, for instance, Denton and Ashcroft, Phys Rev A 43, 3161 (1991)
    http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PRA/v43/i6/p3161_1

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  4. Dec 2, 2006 #3
    Thanks, and help again :)

Thanks a lot for this information. I want to read the article you recommend me, but it ask for a password, obviously i don't have one, so do you know another free source of information about this ? every website that has information or papers about this isn't free. I am only and student and i can't pay 30 dollars for an article.

5. Dec 2, 2006 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you're a university student, your library should carry Phys Rev A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?