1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify that the sum of three quantities x, y, z

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify that the sum of three quantities x, y, z, whose product is a constant k, is maximum when these three quantities are equal.

2. Relevant equations
    w = x + y + z
    k = x * y * z

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assuming that my understanding of the question is correct i.e. that we want the maximum of w and x*y*z has to be equal to a constant k then I'm pretty lost. If they mean the maximum as the largest value of w possible then it's definitely not when x = y = z.

If k = 1 then if x = y = z would give w = 3. But if k = 1 and x = 100, y = 0.1, z = 0.1 then k is still 1 and w = 100.2.

If they mean maximum as in where the rate of change of w is 0 then that doesn't make sense either because even though the rate of change of w is 0 when x = y = z, w is at it's lowest so that would make that point into a minimum.

The only thing I can think of is that they wrote maximum instead of minimum.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't you seen the method of Lagrange multipliers?

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3
    Never heard of it. I'm working with the Calculus made easy book and I haven't encountered it there.

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of techniques have you seen/used to solve these types of problems?

6. Jun 9, 2017 #5
    This chapter was the first and only chapter on partial differentation. They showed that to find the maxima and minima of a multivariable function, the derivative of all partial derivatives have to be zero.

7. Jun 9, 2017 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right. The sum should be minimum.

8. Jun 9, 2017 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, sorry, I missed that, I thought they were asking for a minimum.

9. Jun 9, 2017 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The result is true for a minimum sum. There is no maximum sum under those conditions, because we can write the sum as
    $$S = x + y + \frac{k}{xy},$$
    and so can have ##S \to +\infty## by taking ##x,y \to 0+##.

10. Jun 9, 2017 #9
    In that case, k = xyz, w = x + y + z = k/(yz) + k/(xz) + k/(xy)
    ∂w/∂x = -k/(x2z) - k/(x2y) = -y/x - z/x = 0 ∴ y = -z
    ∂w/∂y = -k/(y2z) - k/(y2x) = -x/y - z/y = 0 ∴ z = -x
    ∂w/∂z = -k/(z2y) - k/(z2x) = -x/z - y/z = 0 ∴ x = -y

Now this confuses me, because y = -z therefore x = -y = z. Now I have x = z and z = -x? Am I allowed to do this?

I tried testing with values and w doesn't even seem to be a minimum when x = y = z considering that if x = 1, y = -1, z = -1 then w = -1

11. Jun 9, 2017 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What
    constraints do you have on x,y,z ? Are they positive?

12. Jun 9, 2017 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please use the appropriate reply button that identifies which post you are replying to. I cannot tell what you are commenting on in your response above.

For non-negative values of ##x,y,z## the point ##(x,y,z) = (c,c,c)## (with ##c = k^{1/3}## and ##k > 0##) really is a provable minimum.
    However, if you allow for some negative values of the variables, the sum has no finite minimum for the same reason I outlined in #8 above: you can have
    $$S = x + y + \frac{k}{xy} \to -\infty$$
    by having ##x \to 0+## and ##y \to 0-## (again, when ##k > 0##).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted