Veriticle springs; period and mass?

In summary: for example, there's dynamic equilibrium for the water-air mixture in a sealed container: water molecules are continually leaving the liquid water (evaporating) and joining the air, while other water molecules are leaving the air and joining the liquid water …overall, the proportion of water in the air stays the same, so there's equilibrium, but since the actual molecules are dodging to and fro, the equilibrium is dynamic
wow22

Homework Statement

Information provided is: mass of spring, displacement, force of constant, gravity.
so basically: m, x, k, and g
Determine the relationship between the period and mass

so how do i find T?

Homework Equations

T= seconds/cycles
T= 2π(sqrt(m/k))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used T= seconds/cycles and got 0.47
BUT. when i used 2π(sqrt(m/k)) I got 0.39

shouldnt both formulas be right?
why are my answers different?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sho

hi wow22! :wink:
wow22 said:
I used T= seconds/cycles and got 0.47
BUT. when i used 2π(sqrt(m/k)) I got 0.39

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong :smile:

m=100g = 0.1kg
g= 9.8 m/s^2
k= 26.6

so when
2π(sqrt(m/k))
=2π(sqrt(0.1/26.6))

seconds/cycles
t=4.7s
cycles=10

so
t/cycles= 4.7s/10
=0.47
.. :s

where do 10 and 4.07 come from? :confused:

and what is this spring doing?

We calculated the time it takes for the hanging mass attached to the spring To fall and make 10 cycles . So tits 10 cycles in 4.7s

wow22 said:
We calculated …

you mean you measured it?

then some of your other data must be wrong :confused:

Yeah... But we double checked with other groups and it was relatively the same .. But ideally, If I had the correct information, should both of finding period work ? :S

wow22 said:
But ideally, If I had the correct information, should both of finding period work ? :S

yes of course!

probably the k they gave you was wrong :smile:

Oh actually we had to find k too :S

But thanks again tiny-tim :D

Can someone just check if these are correct:

the amplitude does not affect the period of vibration within a spring because the period will only change if the mass or force constant changes.

a mass experiences dynamic equilibrium when the mass is hanging on the spring at its most stretched/compressed displacement (so when v=0m/s)

a mass experiences its maximum speed when it is in the middle of its stretched displacement

the acceleration of the mass is constant because the only acceleration acting on the mass is gravity

(this does the same thing with the verticle spring stuff up there^)

wow22 said:
the amplitude does not affect the period of vibration within a spring because the period will only change if the mass or force constant changes.

a mass experiences its maximum speed when it is in the middle of its stretched displacement

yes :smile:
a mass experiences dynamic equilibrium when the mass is hanging on the spring at its most stretched/compressed displacement (so when v=0m/s)

i know what you mean (and it's correct), but that's not called dynamic equilibrium

dynamic equilibrium has to be equilibrium, ie balanced forces (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_equilibrium), and this isn't
the acceleration of the mass is constant because the only acceleration acting on the mass is gravity

sorry, this is nonsense :redface:

acceleration does not act, it just is

one body has only one acceleration

there are two forces on the body … one is constant (gravity), the other isn't

the acceleration is certainly not constant, it's harmonic, and proportional to the displacement

@tiny-tim : how? the maximum velocity is at the mean position. So even if it is at the midpoint of stretched displacement, it does not have max velocity. So I think second one is wrong, isn't it?

MrWarlock616 said:
… mean position … midpoint of stretched displacement

they're the same, aren't they? :confused:

it's simple harmonic motion, so the maximum speed is at the midpoint

tiny-tim said:
they're the same, aren't they? :confused:

oh yeah i got it now thanks :) i thought midpoint was amplitude/2

:$ Sorry I'm kind of lost..
So when IS it in dynamic equilibrium? it's supposed to be when the two forces acting on it are equal no? so gravity=force of tension i was geussing..

Thanks!

wow22 said:
So when IS it in dynamic equilibrium?

i wouldn't apply it to this case, since the system is continually changing, but if you did, it would be when the forces are balanced, and the system isn't changing

for example, there's dynamic equilibrium for the water-air mixture in a sealed container: water molecules are continually leaving the liquid water (evaporating) and joining the air, while other water molecules are leaving the air and joining the liquid water …

overall, the proportion of water in the air stays the same, so there's equilibrium, but since the actual molecules are dodging to and fro, the equilibrium is dynamic​

Okay thanks! Well our lab asks us when it is in dynamic equilibrium :S do I should write that there is home?

wow22 said:
Okay thanks! Well our lab asks us when it is in dynamic equilibrium :S do I should write that there is home?

i've no idea :confused:

what has your professor given you as the definition of dynamic equilibrium?

when forces are balanced, the mass will move at a constant velocity.

wow22 said:
when forces are balanced, the mass will move at a constant velocity.

but there's no constant velocity here :confused:

(unless either

i] we regard the velocity at any point as instantaneously constant, or

ii] it means that the magnitude of the velocity is instantaneously at a maximum or minimum)​

Related to Veriticle springs; period and mass?

1. What is the period of a Veriticle spring?

The period of a Veriticle spring is the amount of time it takes for the spring to complete one full oscillation, or one back-and-forth motion. This is dependent on the mass of the object attached to the spring and the stiffness of the spring itself.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the period of a Veriticle spring?

The period of a Veriticle spring is directly proportional to the mass of the object attached to the spring. This means that as the mass increases, the period also increases, and vice versa. This is because a heavier object requires more force to be pulled down by the spring, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

3. Does the stiffness of the spring affect the period of a Veriticle spring?

Yes, the stiffness of the spring does affect the period of a Veriticle spring. A stiffer spring will have a shorter period, while a less stiff spring will have a longer period. This is because a stiffer spring requires more force to be pulled down, resulting in a shorter period of oscillation.

4. How can the period of a Veriticle spring be calculated?

The period of a Veriticle spring can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant or stiffness of the spring. This formula assumes that the spring is ideal and obeys Hooke's Law.

5. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a Veriticle spring?

The period and frequency of a Veriticle spring have an inverse relationship. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The frequency is the number of oscillations per unit time, while the period is the time for one complete oscillation. The formula for frequency is f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is period.