Vertical throw in earth's field of gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of separation of variables to find a function that describes the velocity of a mass thrown vertically from the surface of the Earth. The solution provided in the conversation has missed a step in the integration process, causing confusion for the person seeking help. The expert explains the missing step and clarifies the process of integrating both sides of the equation with respect to different variables. The expert also provides a link to a tutorial on using \LaTeX to format mathematical equations.
covers

Homework Statement

A mass m is thrown vertically from the surface of the Earth with a velocity v0. Find a function that describes the velocity v of the mass m in dependence of its distance z from the center of the earth.

Homework Equations

m*z'' = -G* m*M / z^2
z'' = dv / dt

G = gravitational constant
M = mass of earth

3. the solution and my problem with it

z'' = -G * M * 1/z^2
z'' = dv/dt = v * dv/dz

==> v * dv = -G * M * dz/z^2

Now my Problem: In the next part both sides of the above equation are to be integrated. The left side from v0 to v, and the right side from R to z. Like that:

integral(v0..v, v*dv) = -G * M * integral(R..z, dz/z^2)

Unfortunately, I don't understand that. Why can I inegrate both sides of the equation like that, and why is it still the same afterwards? What exactly does the term on the left 'integral(v0..v, v*dv)' and the term on the right '-G * M * integral(R..z, dz/z^2)' side of the above equation mean?

It would be great if someone could provide a little help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done is known as separation of variables. The solution has missed out a step which may seem confusing if you have not met differential equations before. This is actually what is happening;

We have;

[tex]\left. \begin{array}{r}
z'' = - GMz^{-2}\\
z'' = v\cdot dv/dz
\end{array}\right\}\Rightarrow -GM\frac{1}{z^2} = v\frac{dv}{dz}[/tex]

Now, what we do here (and what the solution excludes) is integrate both sides with respect to dz i.e;

[tex]\int -GM\frac{1}{z^2}\cdot dz = \int v\frac{dv}{dz}\cdot dz[/tex]

Notice that the two differentials dz on the RHS cancel leaving;

[tex]-GM \int \frac{dz}{z^2} = \int v\; dv[/tex]

Does that make more sense?

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Notice that the two differentials dz on the RHS cancel leaving;

[tex]-GM \int \frac{dz}{z^2} = \int v\; dv[/tex]

Does that make more sense?

Yes, it does make more sense, thanks! But there's still something I don't fully understand. If you cancel out the dz's on both side of the equation, you are left with two integrals, one with respect to v, and the other with respect to z. How do I know that when I integrate one side from v0 to v it is equal to the integration of the other integral from R to z? I know, v0 is the velocity at the height R, and v the velocity at a certain height z, but still, it somehow confuses me...

By the way, do you use some kind of tool to produce the equations you have written(so that they are displayed in such a readable way)?

Okay, let's start by integrating both side wrt the same limits;

[tex]-GM\int^{z=z_{1}}_{z=R}\frac{dz}{z^2}=\int^{z=z_{1}}_{z=R}v\;dv[/tex]

Now, we can't find the definite integral of the RHS directly since the limits do not match the variable, so we must change the limits to match the variable. Now, we know that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, i.e.;

[tex]z'' = \frac{dv}{dt}\Rightarrow \int z''\;dt = \int \frac{dv}{dt}\;dt\Rightarrow z' = v[/tex]

Now, rewriting our final result;

[tex]v = \frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

Note that the above result is a velocity.

So, taking our limits;

[tex]\frac{dR}{dt}:=v_{0}\hspace{1cm}\frac{dz_1}{dt}:=v_{1}[/tex]

Note that both of which are velocities and therefore we can substitute them into our integral on the RHS as limits; giving;

[tex]-GM\int^{z_{1}}_{R}\frac{dz}{z^2} = \int^{v_{1}}_{v_{0}} v\; dv[/tex]

I hope that make sense (I'm a little rushed because I'm working while posting - on a Sunday :grumpy: )

I used [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] to format the math, which is a markup language. There is a tutorial available in the tutorials section.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, it did make sense and it did help me!
I wish you a happy new year.

covers said:
I wish you a happy new year.
All the best for the coming year and those that follow :smile:

1. What is the definition of vertical throw?

The vertical throw refers to the motion of an object being thrown straight up or straight down in the Earth's gravitational field.

2. How does the Earth's gravity affect the vertical throw?

The Earth's gravity causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth's surface at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This acceleration affects the vertical throw by causing the object to slow down as it moves upwards and speed up as it moves downwards.

3. What is the maximum height reached during a vertical throw?

The maximum height reached during a vertical throw is dependent on the initial velocity and the strength of the Earth's gravitational field. However, in ideal conditions, the maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = v2/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

4. Can an object thrown vertically ever reach a height of zero?

Yes, an object thrown vertically can reach a height of zero if it is thrown with enough initial velocity and in the opposite direction of the Earth's gravitational pull. This point is known as the peak of the throw, after which the object will start to fall back towards the Earth.

5. How does air resistance affect the vertical throw?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the vertical throw, as it acts against the motion of the object and slows it down. The amount of air resistance is dependent on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density of the air. In some cases, air resistance can prevent an object from reaching its maximum height during a vertical throw.