Very Accurate Motors: Piezoelectric & Ceramic Motors

• Thread starter iii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary, the conversation is about the search for professors' websites, articles, papers, or video lectures on accurate motors with a precision of 1 nanometer. The motors should use the principles of piezoelectric and ceramic movement, be small and rapid, and capable of linear and rotary movement. The topic of "inchworm" and "actuator" is also mentioned. The person in the conversation is curious if anything of a rotary nature exists and if it can be connected to be useful. Additionally, "magnetostriction" and the use of quartz crystals for twisting under applied voltages is brought up as a potential solution.
iii
I am searching in google after professors websites or articles \ papers or video lectures in very accurate motors (1 nanometer), that use the principles of piezoelectric and ceramic motor movement, that can move in linear and rotate movement and they are rapid, and very small, if you know about good websites in this area so I will glad to know about that

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Inchworm"+"actuator."

Bystander said:
"Inchworm"+"actuator."
That thing is astounding! I wonder, though, if anything of a rotary nature (as iii mentioned as part of the question) exists? I've seen "nanomotors" that just rotate on or in a silicon wafer, but can they actually be connected to anything in order to be useful? My concern is that there can't be a lot of torque there.

"Rotary?" See "magnetostriction." There are "cuts" of quartz crystals, and other piezoelectric materials, that will actually "twist" under applied voltages. Don't ask me for details --- that was a "dead end" technical work-around on which very little time was spent a very long time ago.

I am familiar with the principles of piezoelectric and ceramic motor movement and their potential for achieving high precision and rapid movement. I would recommend starting your search on reputable scientific databases such as PubMed, ScienceDirect, and IEEE Xplore. These databases provide access to a vast collection of peer-reviewed articles, papers, and video lectures on various topics, including very accurate motors.

In addition, you can also search for specific professors or research groups who specialize in this area. Their websites or university profiles may have a list of their publications and ongoing research projects, which can provide valuable insights into the latest developments in very accurate motors.

Some specific keywords to use in your search could be "piezoelectric motors," "ceramic motors," "nanometer precision," "linear and rotational movement," and "rapid movement." This will help narrow down your search results and lead you to more relevant and reliable sources.

I would also recommend attending conferences and workshops related to this field, as they provide a great opportunity to network with experts and learn about the latest advancements in very accurate motors.

Overall, my advice would be to thoroughly review and critically evaluate any information you find to ensure its credibility and relevance to your research. Good luck with your search!

Related to Very Accurate Motors: Piezoelectric & Ceramic Motors

1. How do piezoelectric motors work?

Piezoelectric motors use the principle of piezoelectricity, where certain materials (such as ceramic crystals) can generate electric charges when subjected to mechanical stress. These motors have a piezoelectric element that expands and contracts when an electric field is applied, causing the motor to move. By precisely controlling the electric field, the motor can be moved in a specific direction and speed.

2. Are piezoelectric motors more accurate than traditional motors?

Yes, piezoelectric motors are known for their high accuracy and precision. Traditional motors rely on mechanical components such as gears and belts, which can introduce errors and wear over time. Piezoelectric motors, on the other hand, have no mechanical contact and therefore have higher accuracy and repeatability.

3. What are the advantages of using ceramic motors?

Ceramic motors offer several advantages over traditional motors. They are compact, lightweight, and have a high power-to-weight ratio. They also have a low inertia, meaning they can accelerate and decelerate quickly. Additionally, ceramic motors are resistant to harsh environments and can operate in extreme temperatures and vacuum conditions.

4. Can piezoelectric motors be used in various applications?

Yes, piezoelectric motors have a wide range of applications. They are commonly used in precision positioning systems, biomedical devices, optical instruments, and other areas where high accuracy and precision are required. They are also used in consumer products such as cameras, smartphones, and hard disk drives.

5. How reliable are piezoelectric motors?

Piezoelectric motors are highly reliable and have a long lifespan. They have no mechanical parts that can wear out, and therefore have a lower risk of failure. Additionally, these motors have been extensively tested and used in various industries, demonstrating their reliability and durability.