How Do You Calculate Frictional Force in a Braking Scenario?

• Thread starter Lami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car accelerating and braking. The size of the resultant force acting on the car is 1200N and it travels a distance of 108m in 12 seconds. To solve part c, the final velocity and deceleration need to be calculated.
Lami
Homework template is missing because this was originally posted in a non-homework forum
I'm very new to physics and am doing a crash higher course. I am currently tackling dynamics, and here is one of the questions I was given.
8 ) A car of mass 800kg is accelerated from rest to 18m/s in 12 seconds.
a) What is the size of the resultant force acting on the car
b) How far does it travel in these 12 seconds?
c) At the end of 12 seconds period the brakes are operated and the car comes to rest in a distance of 50m. What is the size of the average frictional force acting on the car?

I got for a) F=ma =800 x 1.5 = 1200N For b) s= ut+ 1/2at^2 = 0.5 x 1.5 x 144 = 108m. I'm confused with how to go about tackling c and was wondering how to tackle it? Apologies in advance for if it's blarringly obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have distance, initial velocity, final velocity and solving for acceleration. Solve the kinematic equation that doesn't have time.

Lami said:
I'm confused with how to go about tackling c and was wondering how to tackle it?
What is the final velocity in part c? What is the velocity at the instant of application of brakes? Can you calculate the deceleration from this?

Related to How Do You Calculate Frictional Force in a Braking Scenario?

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. Forces can be contact forces, where objects physically touch each other, or non-contact forces, such as gravitational or magnetic forces.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called newtons (N). A newton is the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What are the different types of forces?

Some common types of forces include friction, gravity, tension, normal force, applied force, and air resistance. There are also more specialized forces, such as electrostatic, magnetic, and nuclear forces.

4. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or both. When multiple forces act on an object, they can combine to create a net force, which is the overall force on the object. This net force determines the object's motion.

5. What is Newton's Laws of Motion?

Sir Isaac Newton's three laws of motion describe how forces affect the motion of objects. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law explains how the net force on an object is related to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.