1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic time questions

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Jerry Kramer and Elaine are driving from Dallas to Chicago, a distance of 925 mi. Jerry leaves at 7:12 AM and averages 64 mi/h. Kramer leaves at 6:38 AM and averages 71 mi/h. Elaine leaves at 5:55 AM and averages 66 mi/h. Newman departs Chicago heading for Dallas at the same time Kramer leaves at a speed of 75 mi/h.

c. At what time does Jerry pass Newman?
    d. What percentage of the trip has Elaine completed at the time Newman has completed 70% of his trip?

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea, sorry, other than the speed equation maybe that I already used. I have no idea how to answer those questions although I know it should be easy.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know they end up at their destinations at these times:
    Newman: 6:58 PM
    Kramer: 7:39 PM
    Jerry: 9:39 PM
    Elaine: 9:04 PM

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

c) Where is Newman when Jerry leaves Dallas? What is their speed difference?

d) If Newman leaves at 6:38 AM and arrives at 6:58 PM, when did he complete 70% of his trip?

Those are questions you should ask yourself to solve problems like that.

4. Mar 27, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should also ask yourself what variables are the same for Newman when Jerry when they pass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted