Understanding Thermal Electricity and Fuel Flame Direction

In summary, thermal electricity refers to the currents generated by thermal excitation of a semi-conductor or by burning coal, such as lignite, to produce steam that rotates turbines and generates electricity through electromagnetic induction.
lwymarie
What is thermal electricity?

What conditions (e.g. type of fuel) can make a flame pointed 'more upward'?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What "thermal electricity" are u referring to?I can only think of Seebeck & Peltier effects (thermoelectrical effects) which are widely discussed in a solid-state physics book.Or in an irreversible thermodynamics book.

Daniel.

oh. i get this term from my chem textbook only. Lignite is used to produce thermal electricity. so what's thermal electricity?

I suppose the OP is referring to currents that are generated due to thermal excitation of the semi-conductor.
marlon

Aaaaaaaaaaaa,okay.Electricity which is obtained through burning coal and using the steam to rotate turbines to generate alternative current through the famous electromagnetic induction...

Daniel.

marlon said:
I suppose the OP is referring to currents that are generated due to thermal excitation of the semi-conductor.
marlon

Chemistry books and semiconductors ... :yuck: Nope,it was something much simpler.

Daniel.

how abt..What conditions (e.g. type of fuel) can make a flame pointed 'more upward'?

Lignite is a type of coal!...so burning it to make steam to run a turbine & generator would produce what might be called "thermal electricity"...;)

1. What is thermal electricity and how is it generated?

Thermal electricity is the conversion of heat energy into electrical energy. It is generated through the use of thermal power plants, which burn fuels such as coal, oil, or natural gas to produce heat. This heat is then used to boil water and create steam, which drives turbines that produce electricity.

2. How does fuel flame direction affect thermal electricity production?

The direction of the fuel flame is crucial in thermal electricity production. The flame needs to be directed towards the boiler walls to ensure efficient heat transfer and maximum combustion. If the flame is not directed properly, it can result in lower energy output and increased emissions.

3. What factors influence the direction of a fuel flame?

The direction of a fuel flame is influenced by various factors such as the type of fuel being burned, the design of the boiler, and the air and fuel ratio. It is important to have a well-designed boiler and proper control of the air and fuel mixture to ensure the correct flame direction for optimal thermal electricity production.

4. How is thermal electricity different from other forms of electricity?

Thermal electricity differs from other forms of electricity in the way it is generated. It relies on the combustion of fuels to produce heat, which is then converted into electricity. Other forms of electricity, such as solar or wind energy, use natural resources like sunlight or wind to directly generate electricity.

5. What are the environmental impacts of thermal electricity production?

Thermal electricity production can have significant environmental impacts, primarily through the emission of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxides. These emissions contribute to air pollution and can also contribute to climate change. However, advancements in technology and the use of cleaner fuels have helped to reduce these impacts in recent years.