Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    What is thermal electricity?

What conditions (e.g. type of fuel) can make a flame pointed 'more upward'?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What "thermal electricity" are u referring to?I can only think of Seebeck & Peltier effects (thermoelectrical effects) which are widely discussed in a solid-state physics book.Or in an irreversible thermodynamics book.

Daniel.

4. Apr 15, 2005 #3
    oh. i get this term from my chem textbook only. Lignite is used to produce thermal electricity. so what's thermal electricity?

5. Apr 15, 2005 #4
    I suppose the OP is referring to currents that are generated due to thermal excitation of the semi-conductor.
    marlon

6. Apr 15, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aaaaaaaaaaaa,okay.Electricity which is obtained through burning coal and using the steam to rotate turbines to generate alternative current through the famous electromagnetic induction...

Daniel.

7. Apr 15, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Chemistry books and semiconductors ... :surprised :yuck: Nope,it was something much simpler.

Daniel.

8. Apr 15, 2005 #7
    how abt..What conditions (e.g. type of fuel) can make a flame pointed 'more upward'?

9. Apr 15, 2005 #8
    Lignite is a type of coal!...so burning it to make steam to run a turbine & generator would produce what might be called "thermal electricity"...;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?