Very beginner physics 1D motion question

In summary, two cars are moving towards each other on a one-lane road and their front bumpers are initially 275 meters apart. The smaller car is moving at 25.0 m/s and the larger car is moving at 30.0 m/s. The acceleration of the smaller car is 20.0% greater than the acceleration of the larger car. To determine the magnitude of acceleration for each car such that they both come to a stop when their bumpers touch, the equations (Vf)^2=(Vi)^2+2a(Xf-Xi) were used. The resulting magnitudes of acceleration are a1=-0.689 m/s^2 and a2=-0.827 m/s^2.
mistymoon_38
[SOLVED] Very beginner physics 1D motion question!

Homework Statement

Two cars move in opposite directions toward each other on a level, straight, one-lane road. When both drivers begin to brake, their front bumpers are 275 meters apart. The smaller car is initially moving at 25.0 m/s and the larger is initially moving at 30.0 m/s. The magnitude of the acceleration of the smaller car is 20.0% greater than the magnitude of the acceleration of the larger. Determine the magnitude of acceleration for each car such that when their front bumpers touch, they have just come to rest

Homework Equations

(Vf)^2=(Vi)^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

TRANSLATION:
1 stands for the larger car, 2 for the smaller car...
Xi1=0 Xi2=275
Xf1=unknown Xf2=unknown Xf1=Xf2
Vi1=30 Vi2=-25
Vf1=0 Vf2=0
a1=? a2=? a2=1.2a1

EQUATE:
0=(Vi1)^2+2a1(Xf1)
0=(Vi2)^2+2.4a1(Xf2-Xi2)

To solve for a1 I isolated Xf1 in the first equation and then plugged that in where Xf2 is on the second equation, since they are equal. I ended up with:

a1=((Vi2)^2-1.2(Vi1)^2)/(2.4Xi2)
a1= ((-25)^2-1.2(30)^2)/(2.4*275)
a1=-.689 m/s^2
and therefore
a2=-.827 m/s^2
which is the magnitude if you take the absolute value...

So I am wondering if this is correct becaue I am having difficulty verifying my answers and I'm not sure if this is reasonable..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mistymoon_38,

To check this problem you can use the accelerations you found to find the displacement that each car takes during their trip and see if the distances each travels adds up to 275 meters.

There's a subtle error in one of your expressions. You have set up the problem so that for each car the positive and negative directions are the same. However, the accelerations of the cars are in opposite directions (so one is negative and one is positive). So you cannot write [itex]a_2 = 1.2 a_1[/itex] because this forces both accelerations to have the same sign. If you use [itex]a_2 = -1.2 a_1[/itex] I believe you'll get the proper relationship between the accelerations.

Your solution is correct. To verify your answers, you can use the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi) for both cars and see if they both come to rest at the same time and distance. You can also check if the acceleration for the smaller car is indeed 20% greater than the acceleration for the larger car. Additionally, you could plot the position-time graphs for both cars and see if they intersect at the same point where they both come to rest. Keep up the good work!

Related to Very beginner physics 1D motion question

1. What is 1D motion in physics?

1D motion in physics refers to motion that occurs in a straight line, without changing direction. This can be represented by a single number on a graph that shows the position of an object over time.

2. How is speed different from velocity in 1D motion?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In 1D motion, speed and velocity are the same because the object is only moving in one direction.

3. How is distance different from displacement in 1D motion?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion. In 1D motion, distance and displacement are the same because the object is only moving in one direction.

4. Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity in 1D motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity in 1D motion. This can occur if the object is changing direction, even if it is moving at a constant speed along that path.

5. How is acceleration calculated in 1D motion?

Acceleration in 1D motion is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.