Very difficult kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates

In summary, you have set up three reference frames and are having trouble determining the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to an inertial reference frame. Using vector notation and the transport theorem can make the problem easier to solve, and the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to an inertial reference frame is simply the sum of the angular velocity of the Earth and the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to the Earth.
x2carlos

Homework Statement

A satellite is in motion over the Earth. The Earth is modeled as a sphere of radius R that rotates with constant angular velocity "[tex]\Omega[/tex]" in the direction of Ez, where Ez, lies in the direction from the center of the Earth to the North Pole of the Earth at point N. The position of the satellite is known geographically in terms of its radical distance, r, from the center of the Earth, its EARTH RELATIVE longitude, "[tex]\theta[/tex]", where "[tex]\theta[/tex]" is the angle measured from direction Ex, where Ex lies along the line from the center of the Earth to the intersection of the Equator with the Prime Meridian, and its latitude, "[tex]\phi[/tex]", where "[tex]\phi[/tex]" is measured from the line that lies along the projection of the position into the equitorial plane.

Using spherical basis (Er,E"theta", E"phi") to the describe the position of the spacecraft (where Er=direction r from center of Earth to spacecraft , E"[tex]\theta[/tex]"=direction of Ez x Er, and E"[tex]\phi[/tex]"= Er x E"[tex]\theta[/tex]"), determine the velocity and acceleration of the satellite a) as viewed by and observer fixed to the Earth b) as viewed by an observer fixed to an inertial refference frame.

Homework Equations

transport theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I established 3 reference frames: one inertial fixed to Ex, Ey, Ez where Ey is Ez x Ex all at t=0
second one the same but fixed to earth, so it rotates with angular velocity "[tex]\Omega[/tex]"
third , in the direction of r, (spherical coordinate system)

I am not sure if those are the correct ones but with those I am getting and angular velocity
("[tex]\theta[/tex]dot" + [tex]\Omega[/tex])Ez - "[tex]\phi[/tex]dot" E"theta"

Well I understand that it might be hard to visualize what is going on but I don't know how to upload the figure that corresponds. My main problem with spherical coordinates is that they are hard for me to visualize and in this particular problem I am having trouble determining what the angular velocity of the spacecraft is relative to an inertial reference frame in order to apply the transport theorem.

I don't know how to attach my full solution but that my main problem and i think the rest of my crazy algebra problem stem from that, I am basically wondering if there is an easier way to set the problem up to ease the algebra involved

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have made some progress in setting up the reference frames and determining the angular velocity of the spacecraft.

One way to make the problem easier to solve is to use vector notation instead of spherical coordinates. This will make it easier to visualize and manipulate the vectors involved. You can define the position vector of the spacecraft as r, and the velocity and acceleration vectors as v and a, respectively. Then, you can use the transport theorem to relate the derivative of a vector in one reference frame to its derivative in another reference frame.

Also, keep in mind that the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to an inertial reference frame is simply the angular velocity of the Earth (given by "\Omega") plus the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to the Earth (given by "\thetadot"). This should help you in determining the angular velocity of the spacecraft in the inertial reference frame.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

I understand that kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates can be challenging. However, it is important to remember that these coordinates are often used to describe the motion of objects in space, and mastering them can greatly enhance our understanding of the physical world.

In this particular problem, it seems that you have correctly established the three reference frames. However, I recommend double checking your calculations to ensure that you have correctly determined the angular velocity of the spacecraft relative to the inertial reference frame. This may involve considering the rotation of the Earth and the motion of the spacecraft in relation to the Earth's rotation.

In terms of visualizing the problem, it may be helpful to create a diagram or a 3D model to better understand the position and motion of the satellite. You could also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then combining them to find the overall solution.

In terms of the transport theorem, make sure you are applying it correctly and using the appropriate equations for spherical coordinates. It may also be helpful to consult with a classmate or your instructor for additional guidance and clarification.

Overall, mastering kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates takes practice and patience. Keep working through the problem and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

I understand that kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates can be challenging to visualize and solve. In this particular problem, it may be helpful to first establish the reference frames and clearly define the coordinate system being used. It is also important to carefully consider the given information and understand the motion of the satellite relative to the Earth.

In order to determine the velocity and acceleration of the satellite as viewed by an observer fixed to the Earth, it may be helpful to use the transport theorem. This theorem allows us to relate the velocities and accelerations in different reference frames, and can simplify the problem by reducing the number of variables involved.

Furthermore, it may be beneficial to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve them separately. For example, you could first determine the velocity and acceleration of the satellite as viewed by an observer fixed to the Earth's rotating reference frame, and then use the transport theorem to relate it to the velocity and acceleration as viewed by an observer fixed to an inertial reference frame.

Overall, the key to solving a difficult kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates is to carefully establish the reference frames, clearly define the coordinate system, and use appropriate mathematical tools such as the transport theorem to simplify the problem.

What is a kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates?

A kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates is a type of mathematical problem that deals with the motion of objects in three-dimensional space using polar coordinates. It involves using equations and principles of physics to analyze the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in spherical coordinates.

Why are kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates considered difficult?

Kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates are considered difficult because they require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics concepts, as well as the ability to visualize and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space. They also often involve complex equations and calculations that can be challenging to solve.

What are some common applications of kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates?

Kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as astronomy, engineering, and physics to study the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used to model the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites, and to design complex structures, such as bridges and buildings.

What are some strategies for solving a difficult kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates?

Some strategies for solving a difficult kinematics problem involving spherical coordinates include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using diagrams or visual aids to better understand the problem, and applying fundamental principles of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum. It is also important to double-check calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

How can I improve my skills in solving kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates?

To improve your skills in solving kinematics problems involving spherical coordinates, it is helpful to practice regularly, familiarize yourself with key equations and principles, and seek assistance from teachers or peers when needed. It can also be beneficial to work on problems that gradually increase in difficulty and to review and reflect on your problem-solving process after completing a problem.