What is the Impact Velocity of a Stone Thrown from the Top of the ESB?

In summary, the stone is thrown downwards at a speed of 12 m/s and it hits the ground with an impact velocity of 9.8 m/s.
croatia_guy
Hey guys, next week I'm writing a very important test, so it would really help me if someone could solve the exercises. Here it is:

Attachments

• Test iz fizike, zadnji.doc
    26 KB · Views: 218
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

croatia_guy said:
Hey guys, next week I'm writing a very important test, so it would really help me if someone could solve the exercises. Here it is:

Hi croatia_guy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Your attachment won't show up for several hours.

Would you like to describe the problem now?

And remember, you have to show us what you've done, so that we know how to help you. :smile:

ok, there are 4 questions in each group and i wasn't in school for a long time, like 3 weeks, and i don't understand anything.
A group

1. A 20-kg stone is thrown downwards at 12 m/s from the top of the ESB. The ESB is 450 m high. The force of air friction is 120 N. Find the impact velocity of the stone to the ground.
2. A certain planet has a mass of 2*10 on the 26 kg and its radius is 20 000 km. Find when a bat will reach the altitude of 2m if it is launched vertically up at 90 m/s on this planet. (G= 6.67*10 [-11]Nm [2] kg [-2])
3. A bomber flies at unknown velocity at 1.5 km over the London. A bomb is dropped and it will strike the ground 1.8 km far. Find the velocity of the bomber.
4. When a ship steams upstream, its velocity is 12 km/h. If the velocity of the river stream is 20 km/h , what the velocity of the ship will be when it steams downstream?

B group

1. A 600-kg mad bull strikes at 5 m/s thin wooden plate. The bull passes through the plate. Find the velocity of the bull after passing if the plate is 20 cm thick and thw force of 500N is required to break the plate.

2. A stone is thrown vertically up at 80 m/s. Find the velocity and the altitude in 2.4 s.

3. A javelin is thrown horizontally at 20 m/s from a 140 m high tower on a certain planet (R= 7000 km, M= 9 * 10 [24]kg). Find the horizontal range of the javeline (G= 6.67 * 10 [-11] Nm[2]kg[-2]).

4. A bomber travels 400km in 1.2 h from France to Dresden. If the velocity of the tail wind is 50 km/h what is real velocity of the bomber?

Numbers in this [] are those little numbers which are written near ''big'' numbers... You know what I mean. Sorry, but i don't know how to explain it in English.

croatia_guy said:
1. A 20-kg stone is thrown downwards at 12 m/s from the top of the ESB. The ESB is 450 m high. The force of air Friction is 120 N. Find the impact velocity of the stone to the ground.

(btw, the little number is called the "index" … you can make it little, like this, by using the Size tool on the Reply page)

ok … use energy.

You have the initial KE, you know the gravitational PE lost, and you can calculate the energy lost to friction by using Work (force times distance = work = energy lost).

Add or subtract them to get the final KE.

Have a go! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a physics test?

The purpose of a physics test is to assess a person's understanding of fundamental principles and concepts in physics. It allows for the evaluation of knowledge and problem-solving skills in the subject.

2. How should I prepare for a physics test?

The best way to prepare for a physics test is to review lecture notes, textbook readings, and practice problems. It is also helpful to work through past tests or quizzes to get a better understanding of the format and types of questions that may be asked.

3. Is it important to memorize equations for a physics test?

While it is important to have a basic understanding of equations and how to use them, it is not necessary to memorize every single equation for a physics test. It is more important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them to different situations.

4. Can I use a calculator on a physics test?

This depends on the specific test guidelines set by the instructor. Some tests may allow the use of calculators, while others may not. It is best to ask the instructor beforehand to avoid any confusion or surprises on test day.

5. How can I improve my performance on a physics test?

To improve your performance on a physics test, it is important to practice regularly, review material consistently, and seek help from the instructor or peers if needed. It is also helpful to approach each question with a clear and organized thought process and to manage your time effectively during the test.