1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very small question about the Clausius-Mosotti derivation.

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    This is the solution to an exercise in Griffiths where one has to derive the Clausius Mosotti relationship:

http://physicspages.com/2012/11/28/relation-between-polarizability-and-susceptibility/

I have one small question about the use of the word ''applied'' at the beginning when defining ##\vec{E}##. As ##\vec{E}## is used it seems to me that it is supposed to represent the TOTAL macroscopic field including both the externally applied field and the macroscopic field caused by polarization.

So basically, I'm asking what is meant by applied here because it seems that they mean that ##\vec{E}## is the externally applied field. If this is so their use of that field seems not too correct then.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right. E should be interpreted as the total macroscopic field, not just the externally applied field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted