Vibrating molecule of IBr - energies

In summary, the effective potential of atoms in a molecule of IBr is described by the formula V(r)=V_0[(r/a)^-8-10(r/a)^-4], where a=1nm and V_0=0.1eV. The first three vibration states can be calculated if the potential close to the minimum is harmonic. The masses of I and Br are given as 127g/mol and 80g/mol, respectively. The energies of the first three states are E_0=0.0023eV, E_1=0.0074eV, and E_2=0.0123eV.
skrat

Homework Statement

Effective potential of atoms in molecule of IBr can be described as ##V(r)=V_0[(\frac{r}{a})^{-8}-10(\frac{r}{a})^{-4}]##, where ##a=1nm## and ##V_0=0.1eV##. Calculate the first three vibration states if the potential close to minimum is harmonic. ##M(I)=127g/mol## and ##m(Br)=80g/mol##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##V(r)=V_0[(\frac{r}{a})^{-8}-10(\frac{r}{a})^{-4}]##

##V^{'}(r)=V_0[-8\frac{r^{-9}}{a^{-8}}+40\frac{r^{-5}}{a^{-4}}]##

which gives me ##r_0=(\frac{8}{40})^{1/4}a=0.669a## and

##V^{''}(r)=V_0[72\frac{r^{-10}}{a^{-8}}-200\frac{r^{-6}}{a^{-4}}]##

Now looking at Taylor expansion ##V(r)=V(r_0)+V^{'}(r_0)(r-r_0)+\frac{1}{2}V^{''}(r_0)(r-r_0)^2+...##

##\frac{m_r\omega ^2}{2}=\frac{1}{2}V_0[72\frac{r_0^{-10}}{a^{-8}}-200\frac{r_0^{-6}}{a^{-4}}]##

##m_r\omega ^2=V_0[72\frac{a^8}{r_0^10}-200\frac{a^4}{r_0^6}]=V_0[72\frac{1}{(0.669a)^2}-200\frac{1}{(0.669a)^2}]##

##m_r\omega ^2=\frac{V_0}{(0,669a)^2}[72-200]## where ##m_r=\frac{m(I)m(Br)}{m(I)+m(Br)}=49.08u##.

Finally

##\omega =(\frac{V_0}{m_r(0.669a)^2}[27-200])^{1/2}=7,5\cdot 10^{12}Hz##

Now ##E_n=\hbar \omega (n+1/2)=0.0049(n+1/2)## and ##E_0=0.0023eV##.

Now why is that wrong? Should I also take Coulomb potential into account?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The whole potential function is given, no need to add anything.
The problem asks the first three vibration states. I think, you need to give the energies of these states, not only one energy.

ehild

ehild said:
The whole potential function is given, no need to add anything.
The problem asks the first three vibration states. I think, you need to give the energies of these states, not only one energy.

ehild

##E_0=0.0023eV##,
##E_1=0.0074eV## and
##E_2=0.0123eV##.

Thanks for checking. I wasn't sure everything is ok.

1. What is a vibrating molecule?

A vibrating molecule is a molecule that is constantly in motion, with its atoms moving back and forth around their equilibrium positions. This motion is caused by the energy of the molecule, which can come from various sources such as heat or light.

2. What is IBr and why does it vibrate?

IBr is the chemical formula for iodine bromide, which is a diatomic molecule composed of one iodine atom and one bromine atom. This molecule vibrates because it has energy in the form of chemical bonds between the two atoms, which causes them to constantly move and vibrate.

3. How does the energy of a vibrating molecule affect its properties?

The energy of a vibrating molecule can affect its properties in several ways. For example, it can impact the molecule's shape and bond lengths, as well as its reactivity and stability. The higher the energy of the molecule, the more intense its vibrations will be and the greater its impact on these properties.

4. Can the energy of a vibrating molecule be measured?

Yes, the energy of a vibrating molecule can be measured using techniques such as spectroscopy. This involves using light to interact with the molecule and observing the changes in the energy levels of the molecule. The resulting data can then be used to determine the energy of the molecule's vibrations.

5. How does the energy of a vibrating molecule change with temperature?

The energy of a vibrating molecule increases with temperature, as the heat provides more energy for the atoms to move and vibrate more vigorously. This can lead to changes in the molecule's properties, such as its bond angles and strength. As the temperature decreases, the energy of the molecule decreases and its vibrations become less intense.