Measuring Vibration on Screws in Vehicle Flanges

In summary, the conversation discusses failures on a flange in a company and the suggestion to measure flange acceleration to understand if it is the cause. Other suggestions include performing FEM calculations and checking for fatigue failure, as well as providing technical data for analysis.
serbring
Hi guys, in my company we have seen a lot a failures on a flange, in particular one flange screw strips. This flange is mounted in a vehicle and it support some hydraulic pipes. The designer thinks vibrations should cause the failure and so he suggests me to measure the flange acceleration along the screw axis. But how can I understand if the acceleration are too high?

Engineering news on Phys.org
serbring said:
Hi guys, in my company we have seen a lot a failures on a flange, in particular one flange screw strips. This flange is mounted in a vehicle and it support some hydraulic pipes. The designer thinks vibrations should cause the failure and so he suggests me to measure the flange acceleration along the screw axis. But how can I understand if the acceleration are too high?
Hi--from the acceleration signal you should be able to reconstrunct the loal diplacement as function of time. Then, you could do some FEM calculations on the structure, maybe checking for fatigue failure.

M

serbring: Is this a tapped hole? Post all dimensions, thread size, thread engagement length, material specifications, bolt installation torque, lubrication, and applied loads. Has the tapped hole been measured, to ensure the fabricator is not tapping the hole with sloppy thread tolerance, exceeding the thread tolerance specified on the drawing? Perform a bolt stress analysis, to determine if the thread shear stress exceeds the proof stress. Perhaps try a bolt with a polymeric locking patch.

nvn said:
serbring: Is this a tapped hole? Post all dimensions, thread size, thread engagement length, material specifications, bolt installation torque, lubrication, and applied loads. Has the tapped hole been measured, to ensure the fabricator is not tapping the hole with sloppy thread tolerance, exceeding the thread tolerance specified on the drawing? Perform a bolt stress analysis, to determine if the thread shear stress exceeds the proof stress. Perhaps try a bolt with a polymeric locking patch.

Hello nvn, yes it is a tapped hole. I will post all the data you need. Only one question: how do you handle those technical data?

drMS said:
Hi--from the acceleration signal you should be able to reconstrunct the loal diplacement as function of time. Then, you could do some FEM calculations on the structure, maybe checking for fatigue failure.

M

Hello drMR, ok I have understood, I will try to check if we have a FEM software.

Related to Measuring Vibration on Screws in Vehicle Flanges

1. What is the purpose of measuring vibration on screws in vehicle flanges?

The purpose of measuring vibration on screws in vehicle flanges is to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the vehicle. Vibration can cause screws to become loose or even break, which can lead to malfunctions or accidents. By measuring and monitoring the vibration levels, engineers can identify potential issues and make necessary adjustments to prevent problems.

2. How is vibration measured on screws in vehicle flanges?

Vibration on screws in vehicle flanges is typically measured using a vibration sensor or accelerometer. This device is attached to the screw and can detect the frequency and amplitude of the vibration. The data is then analyzed and compared to acceptable levels to determine if any adjustments need to be made.

3. What are the acceptable levels of vibration for screws in vehicle flanges?

The acceptable levels of vibration for screws in vehicle flanges vary depending on the specific vehicle and its intended use. However, in general, the vibration levels should be below a certain threshold to ensure the screws are securely fastened and not at risk of becoming loose or breaking. These levels are determined by industry standards and regulations.

4. How often should vibration on screws in vehicle flanges be measured?

The frequency of measuring vibration on screws in vehicle flanges depends on the vehicle and its usage. In general, it is recommended to measure vibration levels during regular maintenance checks or if any unusual vibrations are detected while driving. Additionally, if there are any changes in the vehicle's usage or modifications made, it's important to re-assess the vibration levels to ensure safety.

5. What are the potential consequences of not measuring vibration on screws in vehicle flanges?

Not measuring vibration on screws in vehicle flanges can lead to various consequences, such as screws becoming loose or breaking, which can compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle. This can result in malfunctions or even accidents, leading to safety hazards and costly repairs. Regularly measuring vibration levels can help prevent these issues and ensure the overall safety and functionality of the vehicle.