Vibrations - Rayleigh-Ritz Method Admissible Functions

In summary, if you are using the Assumed Modes method for N=4, you need to use the following equations:mij = m1,3mij = m2,2
ThLiOp
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of difficulty choosing an admissible function for a fixed-fixed nonuniform bar.

I chose the function φ(x) = 1 - cos(2πx/L).

But when solving for the the stiffness and mass coefficients:

kij = ∫EA(x)φiφjdx

mij = ∫ρ(x)φiφjdx,

I am not sure where I should have the "i" and "j" in my function.

In an example for a fixed-free beam, the function that was given was:

φ(x) = sin(πx/2L), which was changed to φi(x) = sin[((2i-1)πx)/2L].

Should I choose my function to be φi(x) = 1 - cos(2πix/L)? And why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your choice for phi(x) defined only a single function. Your process requires a whole family of functions (i=1,2,3,...), each of which satisfy the boundary conditions. Try to use your original idea, but extend it to a family.

Thank you for the quick response Dr. D!

So in that case, could I choose a function (like before):

φi(x) = 1 - cos(2πix/L), i = 1,2,3,...
φj(x) = 1 - cos(2πjx/L), j = 1,2,3,...

Where they would end up being

φ1(x) = 1 - cos(2πx/L)
φ2(x) = 1 - cos(4πx/L)
φ3(x) = 1 - cos(6πx/L)...

Thank you!

I think you've got it!

Great! Thank you so much!

If I may ask one more slightly related question:

If I am using the Assumed Modes method for N=4, for the stiffness and mass coefficients, do the i and j just need to add up to 4?

For example, I could use:

mij = m1,3
or
mij = m2,2

I'm not sure if that question is clear, as the book did not explain how to get the number of terms. If this is the correct way, does is matter whether I use 1,3 or 2,2?

I'm not familiar with your terminology, but N=4 suggests to me that i = 1,2,3,4 and j = 1,2,3,4, so that all the combinations are involved.

1. What is the Rayleigh-Ritz method for finding admissible functions for vibrations?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method is a mathematical technique used in structural engineering and mechanical engineering to find approximate solutions for systems undergoing vibrations. It involves selecting a set of trial functions, called admissible functions, and using them to approximate the actual solution of the system.

2. How do you determine the admissible functions for a given vibration problem?

The admissible functions are determined by considering the boundary conditions and the physical characteristics of the system. These functions should satisfy the boundary conditions and accurately represent the behavior of the system under vibration.

3. What are the advantages of using the Rayleigh-Ritz method for vibrations?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method is advantageous because it allows for a simple and efficient way to approximate the solution of a vibration problem. It also provides insight into the behavior of the system and can be used to analyze complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.

4. Are there any limitations to the Rayleigh-Ritz method for vibrations?

The main limitation of the Rayleigh-Ritz method is that it provides approximate solutions, rather than exact solutions. This means that the accuracy of the results depends on the selection of the admissible functions and the number of terms used in the approximation.

5. How is the Rayleigh-Ritz method related to other methods for solving vibration problems?

The Rayleigh-Ritz method is closely related to other methods such as the finite element method and the Galerkin method. These methods all use the concept of admissible functions to approximate the solution of a vibration problem. However, the Rayleigh-Ritz method is often preferred for simpler systems due to its ease of implementation and interpretation of results.