Violation of 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

In summary,You can calculate efficiency for a Carnot engine only using the temperatures.However, the engine will be efficient even if the temperatures are negative.
yinnxz
Homework Statement
Imagine that it were possible to construct
a reservoir at −5 K (below absolute zero).
Suppose you ran an engine and used the −5
K reservoir as the cold reservoir.
Would such an engine violate the second
law of thermodynamics?

1. Yes; the engine efficiency would be greater
than 100 %.
2. No, the engine efficiency would be high,
but reasonable.
Relevant Equations
η = Energy out/Total Energy * 100
I don't understand, can you calculate efficiency only using the temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
yinnxz said:
Homework Statement: Imagine that it were possible to construct
a reservoir at −5 K (below absolute zero).
Suppose you ran an engine and used the −5
K reservoir as the cold reservoir.
Would such an engine violate the second
law of thermodynamics?

1. Yes; the engine efficiency would be greater
than 100 %.
2. No, the engine efficiency would be high,
but reasonable.
Relevant Equations: η = Energy out/Total Energy * 100

For a Carnot engine the efficiency does only depend on the temperatures.
Look it up in your book or on the internet.

PS: I can't make sense of the "relevant equation" you quote. The terminology is unclear. What is "total energy" and "energy out".

Likes russ_watters, yinnxz and topsquark
Hello @yinnxz ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

with exercises like this, it may be dificult to post your best effort (as required before the PF guidelines allow us to help !), but you can get started by at least posting the second law, so that we are all on the same page. And the 'relevant equation' is only complete if you clarify the variables.

If you already googled some stuff, shaer the lijks as well...

##\ ##

Likes yinnxz
yinnxz said:
You are right. It takes two temperatures. Two reservoirs. So pick a positive temperature, any positive temperature for the hot reservoir and see where that takes you.

There is an implicit assumption lurking here that heat will spontaneously flow from a positive temperature reservoir to a negative temperature reservoir. If you can Google well, you can discover definitions of thermodynamic temperature which make sense of negative temperatures. In the process, you may learn about the truth (or falsity) of that implicit assumption.

Likes yinnxz
This is a better equation I found. Sorry I should have taken a picture instead.

What I did was to plug in 100 on "TH" variable and the -5 K on the "TC" variable. I got an efficiency bigger than 100%. Would that make it violate the 2nd law that states that a system cant have 100% efficiency?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_090353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_090353_Chrome.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 44
yinnxz said:
Would that make it violate the 2nd law that states that a system cant have 100% efficiency?
In a previous post, I mentioned an implicit assumption that you are making: You are assuming that 100 degrees is hotter than -5 degrees.

"Hotter" in thermodynamics has a technical meaning -- heat will flow spontaneously from the "hotter" reservoir to the "colder" reservoir.

Negative temperatures (which are indeed possible) are hotter than all positive temperatures. The thermodynamic definition of temperature is weird and arguably backward. Reciprocal temperatures behave more sensibly in this regard.

Likes topsquark, BvU and yinnxz

1. What is the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost in the form of heat, making it impossible to convert all energy into useful work.

2. How does the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics relate to entropy?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The 2nd Law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time, meaning that the system becomes more disordered.

3. Can the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all physical systems.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

There are no known exceptions to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. However, there are cases where it may appear that the 2nd Law is violated, but upon closer examination, it is found that the law still holds true.

5. How does the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics impact everyday life?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has a significant impact on everyday life, as it governs all energy transfers and transformations. It explains why energy sources eventually run out, why things break down and decay, and why it is difficult to achieve 100% efficiency in any process.