Integrating sine from 0 to pi: What does the graph show?

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, integration is the process of finding the area under a curve by multiplying the equation for the curve by dx and adding all those slim vertical rectangular areas. This limit gives you the most accurate answer possible, so integration is useful for calculating quantities under change that are calculated by multiplication.
quietrain
Lets say I want to integrate sin from 0 to pi

The answer is 2

But how do visualize it in terms of the graph?

am I summing up the area under the graph?

So it's like max value of 1 on the y-axis
While the x-axis stretches from 0 to 3.14?

If so, then why does doing the calculus in terms of cos (after integrating) give me the same result?

What is the reason behind it? What am I doing essentially?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of what you are saying is almost correct- you can visualize the integral as the signed area below the graph of y= sin(x) and above y= 0 between x= 0 and [itex]x= \pi[/itex]. If the graph is below the y= 0, the "area" is negative.

But I don't understand your statement "why does doing the calculus in terms of cos (after integrating) give me the same result?". That's not true at all:
[tex]\int_0^{\pi} sin(x)dx= \left[-\cos(x)\right]_0^{\pi}= -(-1)-(-1)= 2[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} cos(x)dx= \left[sin(x)\right]_0^{\pi}= 0- 0= 0[/tex]

With y= cos(x), for [itex]\pi/2< \pi< \pi[/itex], one half of the graph is above the y-axis, the other is below and so the two cancel.

er no , that's not what i meant

i mean, if integrating sin from 0 to pi means counting the area underneath the graph, then i will get 2 as the answer right?

so now my other question is why does doing the same integration, sin from 0 to pi, BUT using the method of

∫ sinx = -cos x over 0 to pi, gives me 2 too?

essentially, why is the integral of sin, -cos?

and why does summing 0 to pi for -cos = counting the area underneath the graph?

Fundamental theorem of calculus.

hi quietrain! :smile:
quietrain said:
essentially, why is the integral of sin, -cos?

and why does summing 0 to pi for -cos = counting the area underneath the graph?

because if the area from 0 to x is A(x),

then A(x + dx) - A(x) is the area of a little almost-rectangle with width dx and height sinx.

ie approximately A(x + dx) - A(x) = sinx dx,

or approximately [A(x + dx) - A(x)]/dx = sinx …

in the limit, dA/dx = sinx :wink:

(and cos(x+dx) - cosx = 2sin(x + dx/2)sin(dx/2) ~ sinx)

"Why" is a question for Religion, not Science.
"What" and "How" are the province of Science and Mathematics.

Now your question ... "What am I doing essentially ?"
Answer; You are finding the area under the curve by multiplying the equation for the curve by dx and adding all those slim vertical rectangular areas while taking the limit as dx => 0. The limit gives you the most accurate answer possible. So ...

Integration is Multiplication [in the limit] while one of the multiplicands is changing
That is why Integration also yields Volume or Work or Distance and thus is so useful.
Any quantity under change that is calculated by multiplication requires Integration.

Remember, Calculus is the Mathematics of Change.

Take a look at this:

http://www.calvin.edu/~rpruim/courses/m161/F01/java/RiemannSums.shtml

This too:

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/introduction-to-definite-integrals?topic=calculus

You'll be able to see what it means and its physics application.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright thanks everyone!

Related to Integrating sine from 0 to pi: What does the graph show?

1. What is visualizing integration?

Visualizing integration is the process of representing and understanding the relationship between different components or systems. It involves using visual aids such as charts, diagrams, and maps to analyze and interpret data and information.

2. Why is visualizing integration important?

Visualizing integration allows us to see connections and patterns that may not be apparent through other means. It can help us identify trends, make predictions, and communicate complex ideas and information more effectively.

3. How can visualizing integration be used in scientific research?

Visualizing integration can be used in scientific research to better understand complex systems and phenomena. It can also help researchers communicate their findings and make their work more accessible to others.

4. What are some common tools or techniques used for visualizing integration?

Some common tools and techniques used for visualizing integration include data visualization software, geographic information systems (GIS), network analysis, and concept mapping.

5. How can visualizing integration be applied in everyday life?

Visualizing integration can be applied in everyday life in various ways, such as using infographics to understand news or social media trends, using maps to plan travel routes, or using charts and diagrams to organize and present information in presentations or reports.