Why is the voltage across an inductor negative?

In summary: I think I must have missed something when going over inductors for my electric circuits class.In summary, inductors oppose changes in current.
Drakkith
Mentor
I think I must have missed something when going over inductors for my electric circuits class.

The voltage across an inductor is described by the equation: ##V(t) = L\frac{di(t)}{dt}##
For the case where current is flowing through the inductor until ##t=0##, at which point the voltage/current supply is switched off, the voltage then takes the form: ##V(t) = L\frac{de^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}}{dt} = -L{\tau}^{-1}e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}##

My question is, why is this voltage negative? Wouldn't that oppose the current flow? Obviously I'm not understanding something, as this appears to contradict the fact that an inductor opposes changes in current. I thought the voltage would be a positive number, so as to continue current flow in its current direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As dumb an answer as this is, I think it's just a consequence of Lenz' law:

From Wikipedia:

If the current is decreasing, the induced voltage will be negative at the terminal through which the current enters and positive at the terminal through which it leaves, tending to maintain the current. Energy from the magnetic field is being returned to the circuit; the inductor is said to be "discharging".​

timthereaper said:
As dumb an answer as this is, I think it's just a consequence of Lenz' law:

From Wikipedia:

If the current is decreasing, the induced voltage will be negative at the terminal through which the current enters and positive at the terminal through which it leaves, tending to maintain the current. Energy from the magnetic field is being returned to the circuit; the inductor is said to be "discharging".​

Hmmm. Well, I just now realized that since the inductor is providing voltage to the circuit, it acts like a voltage source. As such, the current would be flowing from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of the inductor, which is exactly how it works for a voltage source.

Likes jim hardy and donpacino
Drakkith said:
The voltage across an inductor is described by the equation: V(t)=Ldi(t)dtV(t) = L\frac{di(t)}{dt}
For the case where current is flowing through the inductor until t=0t=0, at which point the voltage/current supply is switched off, the voltage then takes the form: V(t)=Lde−tτdt=−Lτ−1e−tτ
Can you show a circuit where you see the voltage supply being "switched off"? Often in basic circuit analysis of inductor circuits, a switch will be shown to open circuit the connection to the source supply. In those cases, you can get very large voltage transients, limited only by the parasitic capacitance of the circuit. (Or the explicit capacitance in circuits like flyback transformers for generating high voltages).

http://www.global.tdk.com/techmag/electronics_primer/img/img_electronics_primer_inductor_vol2_1.gif
img_electronics_primer_inductor_vol2_1.gif

Attachments

• img_electronics_primer_inductor_vol2_1.gif
    img_electronics_primer_inductor_vol2_1.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,691
Likes dlgoff and donpacino
berkeman said:
Can you show a circuit where you see the voltage supply being "switched off"? Often in basic circuit analysis of inductor circuits, a switch will be shown to open circuit the connection to the source supply.

Sorry Berk, that's what I meant. I didn't know quite how to word it though.

If you do a search you will find this has been discussed already on this forum with some members giving some pretty good ways to get your mind wrapped around what is happening. If you think that the inductor 'does what it has to' in order to maintain the status quo concerning current flow it is very helpful.

Likes dlgoff, jim hardy, NascentOxygen and 1 other person
Drakkith said:
Hmmm. Well, I just now realized that since the inductor is providing voltage to the circuit, it acts like a voltage source. As such, the current would be flowing from the positive terminal to the negative terminal of the inductor, which is exactly how it works for a voltage source.
Inductors behave as current sources, not voltage sources.

Likes berkeman
cabraham said:
Inductors behave as current sources, not voltage sources.

Indeed it does.

Likes cabraham and berkeman

1. What is the definition of voltage across an inductor?

Voltage across an inductor is the potential difference or electrical pressure that exists between the two ends of an inductor. It is measured in volts (V) and is a result of the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How is the voltage across an inductor calculated?

The voltage across an inductor can be calculated using the equation V = L(di/dt), where V is the voltage (in volts), L is the inductance (in henrys), and di/dt is the rate of change of current (in amperes per second).

3. What factors affect the voltage across an inductor?

The voltage across an inductor is affected by the inductance of the inductor, the rate of change of current through the inductor, and the presence of any resistance in the circuit. Additionally, the frequency and amplitude of the AC current flowing through the inductor can also affect the voltage across it.

4. How does the voltage across an inductor behave in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, the voltage across an inductor will initially be zero, as there is no change in current. However, as the current begins to flow through the inductor, the voltage across it will increase proportionally to the rate of change of current. Once the current becomes steady, the voltage across the inductor will also become steady and equal to V = L(di/dt).

5. Why does the voltage across an inductor lead the current in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, the voltage across an inductor leads the current because of the inductor's property of opposing changes in current. As the AC current alternates direction, the inductor resists the change, resulting in a voltage that leads the current by 90 degrees in an ideal circuit.