Confusion on Potential Changes in Electric Fields

In summary, potential decreases when an electron slows down while moving in an electric field, but increases when a proton slows down. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is not useful for determining this, as potential is the potential to do something. When an electron is moving at a high velocity, more energy is needed to make it go faster, while less effort is needed when the electron is moving slower. Therefore, when the electron slows down, its potential increases. However, if the electric field is constant, the magnitude of the charge can also affect potential. When a particle speeds up, its potential decreases, but when it slows down, its potential increases. There may be conflicting information in different sources, but it is typically more accurate to trust the information
NotMrX
If a electron slows down while moving due to an electric field we would say the potential decreases. If a proton slows down while moving into an electric field does potential increase? I am confused because:

[tex]\Delta KE=q\Delta V=\frac{m(v^2_f-v^2_i)}{2}[/tex]

but I would get opposite signs for the voltage in those cases that I thought I was supposed to.

Physics news on Phys.org
This formula is more quantifying the KE, so i wouldn't use it to figure out your answer. Consider what potential is, its the potential to do something. If an electron is traveling at a high velocity you need to put more energy into it to make it go faster (if that energy is a magnetic field or whatever). If the electron was going slower it would take less effort to make it go faster so Id say when the electron slows down the electrons potential increases. Someone correct me if I am wrong because i probably am, lol... Hope this helps

Now I am thinking that maybe we just use the magnitude of the charge. If the electric field is constant, then if the particle speeds up its potential decreases since the energy went into speeding it up. If the particle slows down then it seems like the potential energy increases so then the electric potential increases. However in the book i was reading it said the potential for an electron that's speed slowed down in a constant electric field decreased and ussually it is me that is wrong and not the book

Related to Confusion on Potential Changes in Electric Fields

1. What is voltage change and how does it affect kinetic energy?

Voltage change refers to the difference in electrical potential between two points. It is a measure of the energy that is required to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field. This change in voltage can affect the kinetic energy of charged particles by altering their speed and direction of motion.

2. How does changing the voltage impact the speed of charged particles?

The speed of charged particles is directly proportional to the change in voltage. This means that increasing the voltage will result in an increase in speed, while decreasing the voltage will result in a decrease in speed. This is because the change in voltage affects the electric field, which in turn affects the force acting on the charged particles and thus their speed.

3. Can voltage change affect the direction of motion of charged particles?

Yes, voltage change can affect the direction of motion of charged particles. This is because the electric field created by a change in voltage can exert a force on the charged particles, causing them to change their direction of motion. The direction of the force will depend on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

4. How is voltage change related to potential energy and kinetic energy?

Voltage change is directly related to potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is the energy associated with the position of an object in an electric field, and it is directly proportional to the voltage. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy associated with the motion of an object, and it is directly proportional to the square of the speed of the object. Therefore, changing the voltage can alter both potential and kinetic energy.

5. Is there a limit to how much voltage can be changed and how it affects kinetic energy?

Yes, there is a limit to how much voltage can be changed and how it affects kinetic energy. This is because as the voltage is increased, the speed of the charged particles also increases, but at a certain point, the particles may reach their maximum speed and cannot go any faster. This is known as the saturation velocity and it varies depending on the type of charged particle and the medium it is traveling through.