1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Archived Voltage Divider (in a circuit)

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm looking at a larger circuit, but part of the problem is clearly an application of a voltage divider. The input voltage goes through a resistor (let's call it R1, it's value is 3kohms) and then it hits a node at which point it can go through R2 or R3 (12 and 6kohms respectively). If I want to know the voltage that goes through R3, how do I calculate this?

I've attached an image of the problem and listed my prior assumptions below.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've made assumptions in this problem, starting with a source transformation (to make my current source a voltage source) and from there I'm assuming that if I use a voltage divider to get the voltage across the 6kohm resistor (further to the left) I can find the voltage at that node and ultimately find ix (the desired value). But I'm very stuck!! Please help!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A complete solution is offered.

Let's analyze the circuit as-is. The op-amp is configured as a voltage follower (buffer) so both its inputs will be at the same potential as the output. Also, since ideal op-amp inputs have infinite impedance, the same current ##i_x## flows through both of the 6 kΩ resistors and thus they form a voltage divider. If the junction of those two resistors is at ##v_o##, then the top of the divider must be at ##2 v_o##.
    upload_2016-2-6_0-32-23.png

Now we're in a position to write a node equation for the ##2 v_o## node. Summing currents leaving the node:

##-4 mA + \frac{2 v_o}{3 k} + \frac{2 v_o - v_o}{6 k} + \frac{2 v_o - v_o}{12 k} = 0##

## v_o = \frac{48}{11} V = 4.364 V##

The current through the 6 kΩ resistors is then:

##i_x = \frac{2 v_o - V_o}{6 kΩ} = \frac{8}{11} mA = 727.3 μA##

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted