Voltage drops over a Circuit

In summary, the voltage drops over the circuit is 0 and the voltage at point B is 30V with a clockwise current flow. However, the question is unclear and should have specified a reference point for the voltage at B.
james11223

Homework Statement

Show that the voltage drops over the circuit is 0. What is the voltage at B?

Homework Equations

I = E/Req

The Attempt at a Solution

120V/120ohms = 1 A

120V - (80*1) - (10*1)- (30*1) = 0

120 - 80 - 10 = 30V at B

I have nooo idea about the B part... can someone please verify!

THANKS!

Attachments

• question 4.jpg
    question 4.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have done all right.

The question is a bit sloppy though: they should have specified a point of reference when they asked about the voltage at node B. The default assumption in this case is to reference the "-" terminal of the supply.

So in my understanding the current is flowing clockwise... is that a correct assumption?

james11223 said:
So in my understanding the current is flowing clockwise... is that a correct assumption?

The battery symbol in the schematic implies that it is "+" on top, so yes, conventional current flow would be clockwise in the circuit.

I would like to clarify that voltage drops over a circuit are a result of the resistance in the circuit. In an ideal circuit with no resistance, there would be no voltage drop. However, in real-world circuits, there will always be some amount of resistance, resulting in a voltage drop. In the given circuit, the total resistance is 120 ohms, which is why the voltage drop is 120V. The voltage at point B can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Therefore, the voltage at point B would be equal to the current (1A) multiplied by the resistance (30 ohms), resulting in a voltage of 30V at point B. It is important to note that the voltage at point B is not equal to 0, as there is still some resistance in the circuit. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop in a circuit refers to the decrease in electrical potential energy as electricity flows through a circuit. This decrease is caused by resistance, which can be found in various components of the circuit such as wires, resistors, and other electrical devices.

2. How is voltage drop measured?

Voltage drop is measured in volts (V) and can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R) of the circuit. This can be represented by the formula V=IR.

3. What causes voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop is primarily caused by resistance in a circuit. As electricity flows through the circuit, it encounters resistance which causes a decrease in voltage. Other factors such as length and material of the wire, temperature, and the number and type of components in the circuit can also contribute to voltage drop.

4. How does voltage drop affect a circuit?

Voltage drop can have a significant impact on a circuit. It can cause a decrease in the overall voltage of the circuit, which can affect the performance of electrical devices and may even cause them to malfunction. It can also cause a decrease in the amount of current flowing through the circuit, which can impact the functionality and efficiency of the circuit.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce voltage drop in a circuit. One way is to use thicker wires with lower resistance. Another way is to limit the number of components in the circuit, as each component adds its own resistance. Additionally, selecting materials with lower resistance and keeping the circuit at a lower temperature can also help reduce voltage drop.