Voltage With Respect to Ground

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two voltage sources connected in series. The problem is to find the voltage at Vout with respect to the ground, named Vx, by giving arbitrary values to the resistors. The conversation also mentions finding the voltage across a load resistor between Vout and Vx. To solve this, the potential difference between any two points in the circuit can be determined by walking a KVL path and adding up the potential changes across the resistors. However, it is noted that this type of circuit is not typically covered in the course.
RIPCLB

Homework Statement

I have the following circuit:

540x405.png

The problem states to give arbitrary values to the resistors, and to find the voltage at Vout with respect to the ground, which I named Vx.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the voltage at Vx is going to be 0V, due to the ground, but I'm not too sure how to figure out the Voltage at Vout. I know there should be a voltage drop due to the resistor(s), but how to find it is beyond me. I have problems later which I have to find the voltage across a load resistor placed between Vout and Vx, with values given to both resistors in the circuit. Any help on how to figure this one out would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the circuit is not grounded. What voltage would get across R2?

You can obtain the potential difference between any two points of a circuit by 'walking' a KVL path between the points and adding up the changes in potential. You should be able to work out the potential changes across the resistors...

So how do I go about doing that with two voltage sources connected into the same loop? I've never seen an example similar to this, so I have nothing to work off of.

RIPCLB said:
So how do I go about doing that with two voltage sources connected into the same loop? I've never seen an example similar to this, so I have nothing to work off of.

Write KVL around the loop -- it's the only closed path (circuit) in the diagram, so it's the only path around which a current can flow. Find the voltage drops across the resistors.

Are you saying that your course has not covered sources connected in series but you are still given this problem? That would be very strange.

Anyway. When you connect to sources this way, i.e., plus to minus or minus to plus, then the combined voltage at the outer terminals is the sum of the voltages. Which should be fairly intuitive, as you literally stack the sources of top of each other.

What is voltage with respect to ground?

Voltage with respect to ground is a measurement of the potential difference between an electrical conductor and the Earth's surface. It is typically used as a reference point for measuring voltage in electrical circuits.

Why is voltage with respect to ground important?

Voltage with respect to ground is important because it allows us to measure the difference in potential between a circuit and the Earth's surface. This can help identify potential safety hazards and ensure proper functioning of electronic devices.

How is voltage with respect to ground measured?

Voltage with respect to ground is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. The voltmeter's black lead is typically connected to ground, while the red lead is connected to the point being measured.

What is the difference between voltage and voltage with respect to ground?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while voltage with respect to ground specifically measures the potential difference between a circuit and the Earth's surface. In other words, voltage with respect to ground takes into account the Earth's surface as a reference point for measuring voltage.

What can cause a high voltage with respect to ground?

A high voltage with respect to ground can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty wiring, lightning strikes, or ground faults. It is important to identify and address the cause of a high voltage with respect to ground to prevent damage to equipment and ensure safety.