Volume: Revolving Region Bounded by Equations - Homework Solution

In summary: This makes it look slightly better in the finalLaTeX output.In summary, the first problem involves finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by the graphs of equations about a given line. The correct integral set up should have an upper limit of 2 instead of sqrt(6). The second problem also involves finding the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region bounded by equations, but this time about the line y=4. The correct integral set up should have (4-1/x)^2 instead of 1/x^2.
clairez93

Homework Statement

1. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the indicated lines.

[tex] y = \sqrt{x}, y = 0, x = 4[/tex]

the line x = 62. Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of the equations about the line y=4.

[tex] y = \frac{1}{x}, y = 0, x = 1, x = 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] V = \pi \int^{\sqrt{6}}_{0} ((6-y^{2})^{2} - (6-4)^{2}) dy[/tex]
[tex] = \pi \int^{\sqrt{6}}_{0} (36 - 12y^{2} + y^{4} -4) dy [/tex]
[tex] = \pi \int^{\sqrt{6}}_{0} (32 - 12y^{2} + y^{4}) dy [/tex]
[tex] = \pi [32y - 4y^{3} + \frac{y^{5}}{5}]^{\sqrt{6}}_{0} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{76\sqrt{6}\pi}{5}[/tex]

I am relatively sure that I integrated the expression I set up correctly, because I checked it with my ti-89. That said, that means the original integral I set up is incorrect. I'm not sure why.

[tex] V = \pi \int^{4}_{1} (4^{2} - \frac{1}{x^{2}}) dx [/tex]
[tex]= \pi \int^{4}_{1} (16 - \frac{1}{x^{2}}) dx [/tex]
[tex]= \pi [16x + \frac{1}{x}]^{4}_{1} [/tex]
[tex]= \pi [(64 + \frac{1}{4)}) - (16+1)][/tex]
[tex] = \pi (\frac{257}{4} - 17)[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{189\pi}{4}[/tex]

Again, checked with my calculator and I evaluated integral correctly. Set up went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, check the limits of integration. What values of y does the region cover?

EDIT: I can't see anything wrong at first glance with the second one. What is the answer you were given?

Answers for problems:

1. [tex]\frac{192 \pi}{5} [/tex]
2. [tex] \pi (8 ln 4 - \frac{3}{4}) = 32.49 [/tex]

Oh, should the upper limit be 2?

clairez93 said:
Oh, should the upper limit be 2?
Yep!

And as for the other one, it should be (4-1/x)^2, not 1/x^2.

EDIT: As a quick LaTeX hint, type 'ln' as '\ln' as in [tex]\ln x[/tex].

1. What is the disc method for finding volume?

The disc method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid generated by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This method is commonly used in calculus and geometry to calculate the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

2. How do you use the disc method to find volume?

To use the disc method, you first need to identify the shape that will be rotated around an axis. Then, you need to determine the limits of integration and set up the integral using the formula ∏ V = ∏ πr2dx, where r is the distance from the axis to the edge of the shape and dx is the thickness of the discs being added. Finally, you integrate the equation to find the volume.

3. What are the limitations of the disc method?

The disc method can only be used for shapes that are rotationally symmetric, meaning that they can be rotated around an axis without changing their appearance. It is also limited to finding the volume of solids with a circular cross-section.

4. Can the disc method be used for any shape?

No, the disc method can only be used for shapes that have rotational symmetry and a circular cross-section. Shapes such as cubes, pyramids, and irregular polygons cannot be solved using the disc method.

5. How is the disc method different from other volume finding methods?

The disc method is different from other volume finding methods, such as the shell method, because it uses discs (or cylinders) to approximate the shape being rotated instead of shells (or cones). It is also limited to finding the volume of solids with circular cross-sections, while other methods may be able to find the volume of more complex shapes.