Volume of Triangular Solid: A Solution Attempt

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid with a triangular base in the xy-plane and perpendicular equilateral triangle cross sections along the y-axis. Using the formula for the area of a triangle, the base is (1-y) and the height is (1/2)*sqrt(3)*(1-y). This results in an area of (1/2)*sqrt(3)*(1-y)^2, which can be integrated from 0 to 1 to find the volume.
gillyr2
The attempt at a solution[/b]Question: Find the volume of the solid whose base is the triangular region of the xy-plane with vertices (0,0),(1,0),(0,1) and whose cross sections perpendicular to the y-axis are equilateral triangles.

I have the problem set up. just don't know how to get the cross sections of the triangles. i know the area is 1/2 bh i thought maybe similar triangles where the height would be sqrt(3)/4x and x=1-y. am i close? help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you're close. The base is x=(1-y). The height is base*sqrt(3)/2. So what's the area?

so the area is sqrt(3)/2 (1-y)^2? and i would just integrate that from 0 to 1 right?

Almost right. The area is (1/2)*b*h. What happened to the (1/2)?

ah. so its sqrt(3)/4 (1-y)^2

Yes it is.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a triangular solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a triangular solid is V = (1/3) * base * height * length, where the base and height are the dimensions of the triangle base and the length is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

What are the units for the volume of a triangular solid?

The units for the volume of a triangular solid are cubic units, such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters.

How is the volume of a triangular solid related to the volume of a rectangular solid?

The volume of a triangular solid is equal to one-third of the volume of a rectangular solid with the same base and height dimensions.

Can the volume of a triangular solid be negative?

No, the volume of any solid cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

What is the difference between a triangular solid and a pyramid?

A triangular solid has three triangular faces and a triangular base, while a pyramid has a polygonal base and triangular faces that meet at a single point called the apex.