Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume inside sphere, outside cylinder

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    Find the volume inside the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{z}=16[/tex] and outside the cylinder [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex]. Use polar coordinates.

The sphere's center lies at the origin. The region of integration is the base of the cylinder, the radius 2 xy disk [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex] and the two parts of the sphere are given by [tex]z=\pm\sqrt{16-x^{2}-y^{2}}[/tex]

Volume of sphere is 4 pi r^3 over 3 = 4 pi 4^3 over 3

Volume inside sphere but outside cylinder = [tex]\frac{4\pi 4^{3}}{3}-2\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\left(\sqrt{16-r^{2}}\right)rdrd\theta[/tex]

What is wrong with my reasoning?
    Thank you very much
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fishingspree2! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

What is your √(16 - r2) supposed to be? :confused:

(and why are you finding the "missing" volume? isn't it easier just to find the volume given?)
  4. May 13, 2010 #3
    the √(16 - r2) is the top half of the sphere in polar coordinates

I thought about finding the volume directly but I don't know how to setup the integral.

thank you
  5. May 13, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, no idea what you mean … is that the length of something? :confused:
    Divide the volume into horizontal slices of height dz (each slice will be a "washer" with inner radius 2), find the volume of each slice, and integrate. :smile:
  6. May 13, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi, fishingspree!

It might be easier solving this by:

1. Determine at what z-level the cylinder intersects with the sphere:

2. Determine the volume INSIDE this region, using spherical coordinates, for example, for the volume of the two caps (along with the easy calculation of the volume of the cylinder).

3. Subtract this volume from the sphere's volume.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook