Volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle

In summary, the person is asking if they can integrate the r-part of the function from r^4 to 1/5*r^5 and then substitute in an expression for r that depends on the polar angle. They also ask for help with the r-integration. The other person responds that they should substitute in the expression for r before integrating, and provides an example of how to do so. They also mention that the original integral looks questionable and suggest using a math script instead of attaching a file.
M_1
Hi,
I want to calculate a volume integral of a function f(r,theta). The limits for azimuthal and polar angle is of course 0-2*pi and 0-pi, respectively. But the limits for the radius is 0 to an expression depending on the polar angle. Can I simply first integrate the r-part, say from r^4 to 1/5*r^5, and then put in the expression with the polar angle and then integrate?

See attached Word-file for explanations.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• to_math_forum_2013_09_03.docx
    18.2 KB · Views: 203
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "outer radius"?

That's one ugly looking integral. What is this for?

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

By outer radius I simply mean the radius of the droplet.

All this is for calculating the vibrational energy of a vibrating droplet. I you want I can send you a more complete document.

I'm not really sure if what you're doing makes sense.

If you wanted to evaluate that integral, you need to sub in the expression for ##r##. The limits of the ##dr## integral are just ##[r,0]##.

It would look something like this:

$$\int ^{2\pi} _0 \int ^\pi _0 \int ^r _0 r^4 cos^2 (\theta)sin^3 (\theta) dr d\theta d\phi$$

And you need to plug in that hideous expression for ##r##.

I'll be honest with you, the reason you haven't gotten many responses is because this looks like total nonsense.

A tip: Use the built in math script, nobody wants to download a file from a random user on an internet forum. It has a bit of a learning curve, but you'll get used to it.

Hi again,

Thanks!

The question is if I can integrate r4 to 1/5r5 and then put in the expression for r (Eq. 2).

Best Regards

Certainly not, you need to sub the expression in before you can integrate anything.

But if I plug in the expression for r, how should I proceed with the r-integration. Should I see it as the function 1 and integrate to the primitive function r? This will differ by a factor of 1/5 as compared to to first integrate r4 to 1/5r5 and then put in the expression for r (Eq. 2).

Plug the expression for ##r## in, and integrate as you normally would. For example

$$\int ^{2 \pi}_0 \int ^r _0 r dr d \theta$$

Where ##r = krcos(\theta)## would be rewritten as:

$$\int ^{2 \pi}_0 \int ^r _0 (kr)cos(\theta)dr d\theta$$

You just sub it in, and THEN do the integration.

1. What is volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle?

Volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a solid with a varying radius based on the polar angle. This means that the radius of the solid changes as the angle changes, making it a more complex integration problem.

2. How is volume integration with a polar angle different from regular volume integration?

The main difference between volume integration with a polar angle and regular volume integration is that the radius of the solid in polar integration is not constant. In regular volume integration, the radius is constant and can be factored out of the integral, making it simpler to solve. However, in polar integration, the radius is a function of the polar angle, making it a more challenging problem.

3. What applications use volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle?

Volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle is commonly used in physics and engineering, specifically in problems involving rotation and three-dimensional shapes. It is also used in fields such as geology and astronomy to calculate the volume of natural formations and celestial bodies.

4. Can you provide an example of a problem that uses volume integration where the radius limit depends on the polar angle?

Sure, an example problem would be to find the volume of a cone with a varying radius. In this case, the radius would be a function of the polar angle, and the volume integration would involve solving a double integral in polar coordinates.

5. What steps are involved in solving a volume integration problem with a polar angle?

To solve a volume integration problem with a polar angle, you first need to determine the function of the radius in terms of the polar angle. Then, set up the integral using the appropriate limits of integration and solve it using integration techniques. Finally, evaluate the integral to find the volume of the solid.