1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of 3 intersecting Cylinders

1. May 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to find the volume of three intersecting cylinders that intersect at right angles given that the radius is 5.

I have found many sites that state just the answer, but I am after the proof for it showing all of the working. I know how to prove the rule for 2 intersecting cylinders, I can't do it for 3 though.

2. Relevant equations

The rule I am after is 8(2-sqrt(2))r^3 or any similar form of that.

3. The attempt at a solution

V_3(r,r,r) = 16r^3int_0^(pi/4)int_0^1ssqrt(1-s^2cos^2t)dsdt

A site i have found begins solving with that equation, but I have completely no idea where the numbers come from.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

intersection3Cyl.jpg

The above is the looking-down view of the first octant. The next one is slightly cropped and from the z-axis looking out for getting the bounds of integration with the y=x plane included for reference.

intersection3Cyl_crop.jpg

Try setting up the integral now... I'll use cylinders of radius R.

In cylindrical coordinates [tex](r,\theta, z)[/tex]: Using symmetry (multiply by 16), [tex]0\le \theta\le \scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex]
    here, z is bounded above by the red cylinder [tex]x^2+z^2=R^2[/tex] (second image) so [tex]0\le z\le \sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}[/tex]
    and r is bounded by the blue cylinder so [tex]0\le r\le R[/tex]

so the integral is

[tex]16\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}}r\, dzdrd\theta = 16\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}}\int_{0}^{R}r\sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}\, drd\theta[/tex]
    [tex]= -{\scriptstyle{\frac{16}{3}}} R^3\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}} \frac{\sin^3\theta -1}{\cos^2\theta}\, d\theta = 8R^3\left( 2-\sqrt{2}\right)[/tex]​

Last edited: May 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook