Calculating the Volume of a Cylindrical Wedge Using Calculus and Geometry

In summary: I've been trying to get a hold of this for a few days and have been asking for help and I don't see how this is relevant to any of the questions being asked. The double integral you gave evaluates to 0 and the integral I gave evaluates to a^3 q. So it can't be correct.In summary, the question is asking for the volume of a cylindrical wedge enclosed by the surfaces z=qx, z=0, and x²+y²=2ax. The correct answer is \pi a^3 q, which can be verified using simple geometry or by using a double integral. However, there was a misunderstanding about the shape being calculated, as it is not a vertically-halved cylinder but a
RK7

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the enclosed by the surfaces [tex]z=qx[/tex] [tex]z=0[/tex] and [tex]x²+y²=2ax[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is meant to be done with calculus but can verify my answer with simple geometry - should be [tex]\pi a^3q[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the top of the wedge will be when [tex]x=2a[/tex]

Form rectangular slices of the wedge perpendicular to the x-axis with area [tex]A=2yz=2\sqrt{x(2a-x)}qx[/tex] and volume [tex]2\sqrt{x(2a-x)}qx .dx[/tex]

Then integrate this from x=0 to x=2a gives:
V=[itex]\int ^{2a} _{0} 2q \sqrt{x^{3}(2a-x)} dx[/itex]

I've checked this numerically with wolfram alpha for certain values of a and q but I haven't got a clue how to evaluate it.. the question said to use a double integral but I don't know what a suitable double integral would be...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm I've come up with a double integral:

Break it up into segments of the cirlce in the plane perpendicular to z axis

The area of a segment at height z is [tex]\int^{2a} _{z/q} 2y dx = \int^{2a} _{z/q} 2 \sqrt{x(2a-x)} dx[/tex] and can integrate these from z=0 to 2aq giving:
[tex]\int^{2aq} _{0} \int^{2a} _{z/q} 2 \sqrt{x(2a-x)} dx dz[/tex]

Similar problem with evaluating the integral though..

Are you sure the answer isn't [tex]\frac {\pi a^3q}{2}?[/tex]

sharks said:
Are you sure the answer isn't [tex]\frac {\pi a^3q}{2}[/tex]?

So the cylinder has radius a and touches x=0 and x=2a
The cylinder goes up to a height of z=qx=2aq
So the total volume of the cylinder is [tex]\pi a^{2} * 2aq = 2 \pi a^{3} q[/tex]
So the volume of the half of the cylinder we're interested in is half that [tex]V=\pi a^3 q[/tex]

Am I doing something wrong?

What you just calculated in #5 is the volume of a normal vertically-halved cylinder of height z=2aq (upper surface being the horizontal plane z=2aq), when you should be calculating a cylindrical wedge.

Let q=0. What does this tell you about the volume?

sharks said:
What you just calculated in #5 is the volume of a normal vertically-halved cylinder of height z=2aq (upper surface being the horizontal plane z=2aq), when you should be calculating a cylindrical wedge.

Let q=0. What does this tell you about the volume?

What's wrong with the answer [tex] \pi a^3 q [/tex] ?

And q=0 is just zero volume..

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 452
You need to divide your answer by 2 again. Why?

1. You are dealing with half of a cylinder (vertically split in half).
2. You are dealing with a wedge in the cylinder (diagonally split in half).

sharks said:
You need to divide your answer by 2 again. Why?

1. You are dealing with half of a cylinder (vertically split in half).

I'm dealing with an entire cylinder split in two. The equation is x²+y²=2ax (equivalent ton (x-a)²+y²=a²) not x²+y²=a².

RK7 said:
I'm dealing with an entire cylinder split in two. The equation is x²+y²=2ax (equivalent ton (x-a)²+y²=a²) not x²+y²=a².

That's what i meant. Enter all the equations in a 3D software to see the volume required.

Can you upload a screenshot of what your software is showing?

I have drawn it on paper as you would in the exams. I suggested using a graphing software to help you to visualize it in 3D.

Here is the double integral (using polar coordinates):
[tex]\int^{\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}}_{\theta = 0} \int^{r=2a\cos \theta}_{r=0} \left[ z \right]^{qr\cos \theta}_0\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]

Last edited:
sharks said:
I have drawn it on paper as you would in the exams. I suggested using a graphing software to help you to visualize it in 3D.

Here is the double integral (using polar coordinates):
[tex]\int^{\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}}_{\theta = 0} \int^{r=2a\cos \theta}_{r=0} \left[ z \right]^{qr\cos \theta}_0\,.rdrd\theta[/tex]

With respect, I'm fairly certain you're wrong and completely derailed the thread.

1. What is a cylindrical wedge?

A cylindrical wedge is a three-dimensional shape formed by slicing a cylinder with a plane that is not parallel to its base. It resembles a slice of cake or pie.

2. How is the volume of a cylindrical wedge calculated?

The volume of a cylindrical wedge can be calculated by multiplying the area of the base by the height of the wedge. The formula is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the wedge.

3. Can the volume of a cylindrical wedge be negative?

No, the volume of any physical object cannot be negative. It is a measure of the space occupied by the object and must always be a positive value.

4. What are the units for measuring the volume of a cylindrical wedge?

The units for measuring volume can vary depending on the unit of measurement used for the dimensions of the wedge. For example, if the radius is measured in meters and the height in centimeters, the volume will be measured in cubic meters times centimeters (m³cm).

5. How is the volume of a cylindrical wedge used in real life?

The volume of a cylindrical wedge is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the amount of material needed to make a wedge-shaped object, determining the capacity of containers with wedge-shaped bottoms, and in engineering and construction projects where wedge-shaped structures are involved.