Volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes

In summary, the conversation was about finding the volume of a region bounded by a cylinder and two planes using triple integrals in both Cartesian and cylindrical coordinates. The solution involved setting up the triple integral in Cartesian coordinates by considering the z limits of integration and solving for y to determine the y limits of integration. In cylindrical coordinates, the z limits were determined by setting z=3-rcosθ and the r limits were set from 0 to 2. The conversation also discussed the importance of integrating dz before dr due to the z limits depending on r.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region bounded by the cylinder x^2 + y^2 =4 and the planes z=0, and x+z=3.

Homework Equations

V = ∫∫∫dzdxdy

V=∫∫∫rdrdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I feel as though I'm missing a step somewhere along the way, but here's what I've gotten so far.

So I know that I've got a cylinder centered around the z-axis, bounded by z=0 (which would be the xy-plane) and x+z=3.

If I attempt a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates, beginning with the z limits of integration, I enter the region at z=0, and exit the region at z=3-x? I'm having a hard time picturing the x=3-x part since y=0, and so we aren't actually looking at the whole cylinder?

Well from there, I looked at the circle cast by the cylinder on the xy-plane, x^2+y^2 = 4. I solved for y for my y limits of integration, -(4-x^2)^1/2 to + (4-x^2)^1/2.

And then my x limits are simply -2 to 2.

I feel like I'm not taking into account the z=3-x for my y and x limits, though I'm not sure how I would...

Here's my attempt in cylindrical coordinates.

Since x^2+y^2 = r^2=4, I said my r limits are from r=0 to r=2.

My z limits are from z=0 to z=3-rcosθ.

And my limits for θ are from 0 to 2pi.

I feel like I'm missing something...Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
forestmine said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region bounded by the cylinder x^2 + y^2 =4 and the planes z=0, and x+z=3.

Homework Equations

V = ∫∫∫dzdxdy

V=∫∫∫rdrdθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so I feel as though I'm missing a step somewhere along the way, but here's what I've gotten so far.

So I know that I've got a cylinder centered around the z-axis, bounded by z=0 (which would be the xy-plane) and x+z=3.

If I attempt a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates, beginning with the z limits of integration, I enter the region at z=0, and exit the region at z=3-x? I'm having a hard time picturing the x=3-x (you mean z = 3-x) part since y=0, and so we aren't actually looking at the whole cylinder?

z = 3-x is the top of the surface, so that part is OK.
Well from there, I looked at the circle cast by the cylinder on the xy-plane, x^2+y^2 = 4. I solved for y for my y limits of integration, -(4-x^2)^1/2 to + (4-x^2)^1/2.

And then my x limits are simply -2 to 2.

Yes, although after you do the dz integral you might want to use polar coordinates for the dydx integral for ease of calculation.

I feel like I'm not taking into account the z=3-x for my y and x limits, though I'm not sure how I would...
It's OK. z as a function of x was taken care of in the inside dz limits
Here's my attempt in cylindrical coordinates.

Since x^2+y^2 = r^2=4, I said my r limits are from r=0 to r=2.

My z limits are from z=0 to z=3-rcosθ.

And my limits for θ are from 0 to 2pi.

Thanks!

Your cylindrical limits are Ok as long as you are sure to integrate dz before dr because the z limits depend on r.

Oh wow, thank you! I couldn't help but feel like I didn't quite have it.

Thanks for checking it out!

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a region is the measure of the amount of space it occupies. It is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

2. How is the volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes calculated?

The volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes can be calculated using the integral calculus method. This involves breaking down the region into infinitesimally small slices and summing their volumes.

3. What is the difference between a surface and a plane?

A surface is a three-dimensional object that has length, width, and height, while a plane is a two-dimensional object with only length and width. A plane can be thought of as a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions.

4. Can the volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes be negative?

No, the volume of a region can never be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the amount of space the region occupies.

5. What is the significance of finding the volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes?

Finding the volume of a region bounded by a surface and planes is important in many scientific and mathematical fields, including physics, engineering, and geometry. It allows us to accurately describe and understand the physical properties and characteristics of different objects and shapes.