How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Rotated Around y=1?

In summary: Similarly, y = √x is the upper curve (closer to y = 1), so ##\ 1-\sqrt{x\,} \ ## is the inner radius. Now proceed with the integration and the algebra and you should arrive at the desired answer.In summary, to find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by y=x2 and x=y2 about the line y=1, we use the disk method and find the area of the cross-section as A(x) = π(outer radius)^2 - π(inner radius)^2. The outer radius is 1-x^2 and the inner radius is 1-√x. Integrating this difference from 0 to 1 gives us
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y=x2
x=y2
Rotated about y=1

Homework Equations

Area of cross-section (in this case, a disk) = A(x) = π(outer radius)2 - π(inner radius)2
Volume = V = ∫A(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

calc_prob1_zpsqqcr6ens.png

[/B]
yellow line => y=x2
red line => x=y2

I converted x=y2 to y=√x

The outer-radius is y=x2
The inner-radius is x=√x
The intersection points of the two graphs is (0,0) and (1,1)

So A(x) = π(x2)2 - π(√x)2 = π(x4-x)

So V = ∫A(x)dx = π ∫ [ (1/5)x5 - (1/2)x2 ]dx integrated at (x=0 to x=1) = -3π/10 ...

However the volume can't be negative and the correct answer is 11π/30

Any help? The book shows the same graph and same intersection points, but I am getting the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y=x2
x=y2
Rotated about y=1

Homework Equations

Area of cross-section (in this case, a disk) = A(x) = π(outer radius)2 - π(inner radius)2
Volume = V = ∫A(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

calc_prob1_zpsqqcr6ens.png

[/B]
yellow line => y=x2
red line => x=y2

I converted x=y2 to y=√x

The outer-radius is y=x2
The inner-radius is x=√x
The intersection points of the two graphs is (0,0) and (1,1)

So A(x) = π(x2)2 - π(√x)2 = π(x4-x)

So V = ∫A(x)dx = π ∫ [ (1/5)x5 - (1/2)x2 ]dx integrated at (x=0 to x=1) = -3π/10 ...

However the volume can't be negative and the correct answer is 11π/30

Any help? The book shows the same graph and same intersection points, but I am getting the wrong answer.

You want to use the shell method here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_integration

Thank you for you're reference, I read it and sort of get how it works. However this chapter I am in does not show me that method yet, and only shows the disk/ washer method that I attempted, so it must be solvable using that method. In fact, there is an almost identical problem using y=x2 and y=x revolved around the x-axis (y=0) that uses this method and it works. Any help trying to solve it using this method?

Turns out I found out what I was doing wrong. I had to subtract 1 (y=1) from each of the outer and inner radius. So the inner radius is π(1-x2)2 and the outer radius is π(1-√x)2. When I integrated the difference of these two at 1 and 0 I got 11π/30.

dlacombe13 said:
Turns out I found out what I was doing wrong. I had to subtract 1 (y=1) from each of the outer and inner radius. So the inner radius is π(1-x2)2 and the outer radius is π(1-√x)2. When I integrated the difference of these two at 1 and 0 I got 11π/30.
I think you have something close to the right idea.

Actually, the radii are: ##\ 1-x^2 \ ## and ##\ 1-\sqrt{x\,}\ ##. However, y = x2 is the lower curve (farther away from y = 1), so ##\ 1-x^2 \ ## is the outer radius.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Rotated Around y=1?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a revolved solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a revolved solid is V = π ∫ (f(x))^2 dx, where π is the constant pi, f(x) is the function defining the shape of the solid, and the integral is evaluated over the bounds of the shape.

2. How do you determine the bounds when using the formula for volume of a revolved solid?

The bounds are determined by the limits of the shape being revolved. For example, if the shape is a circle with radius r, the bounds would be from 0 to 2πr.

3. Can the formula for volume of a revolved solid be used for any shape?

Yes, the formula can be used for any shape as long as it is rotated around a single axis. However, it is easiest to use for shapes that have a function defining their boundaries, such as circles, rectangles, and triangles.

4. How does the volume of a revolved solid differ from the volume of a regular solid?

The volume of a revolved solid takes into account the rotation of the shape, so it is generally larger than the volume of a regular solid with the same dimensions. This is because the revolved solid has more space filled by the rotation of the shape.

5. Is there a way to visualize the volume of a revolved solid?

Yes, there are various software programs that can create 3D models of revolved solids, allowing you to visualize the shape and its volume. Additionally, you can use physical models or drawings to better understand the concept.