1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a revolved solid

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.

y=x2
    x=y2
    Rotated about y=1

2. Relevant equations
    Area of cross-section (in this case, a disk) = A(x) = π(outer radius)2 - π(inner radius)2
    Volume = V = ∫A(x) dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    calc_prob1_zpsqqcr6ens.png

yellow line => y=x2
    red line => x=y2

I converted x=y2 to y=√x

The outer-radius is y=x2
    The inner-radius is x=√x
    The intersection points of the two graphs is (0,0) and (1,1)

So A(x) = π(x2)2 - π(√x)2 = π(x4-x)

So V = ∫A(x)dx = π ∫ [ (1/5)x5 - (1/2)x2 ]dx integrated at (x=0 to x=1) = -3π/10 ...

However the volume can't be negative and the correct answer is 11π/30

Any help? The book shows the same graph and same intersection points, but I am getting the wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to use the shell method here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_integration

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Thank you for you're reference, I read it and sort of get how it works. However this chapter I am in does not show me that method yet, and only shows the disk/ washer method that I attempted, so it must be solvable using that method. In fact, there is an almost identical problem using y=x2 and y=x revolved around the x-axis (y=0) that uses this method and it works. Any help trying to solve it using this method?

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4
    Turns out I found out what I was doing wrong. I had to subtract 1 (y=1) from each of the outer and inner radius. So the inner radius is π(1-x2)2 and the outer radius is π(1-√x)2. When I integrated the difference of these two at 1 and 0 I got 11π/30.

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have something close to the right idea.

Actually, the radii are: ##\ 1-x^2 \ ## and ##\ 1-\sqrt{x\,}\ ##. However, y = x2 is the lower curve (farther away from y = 1), so ##\ 1-x^2 \ ## is the outer radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted