How Is the Volume of a Spherical Segment Calculated Using Cavalieri's Principle?

In summary, Cavalieri's Principle can be used to find the volume of a spherical segment with one base and thickness h, given the radius of the sphere is r. This can be done by using the volume of a half-sphere and the volume of a cone inverse to the half-sphere. The principle involves revolving 2D functions about the x-axis to create 3D shapes.
navybuttons

Homework Statement

Use Cavalieri's Principle to find the volume of a spherical segment of one base and thinckness h if the radius of the sphere is r.

Homework Equations

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2826/sphere1.jpg

Volume of half-sphere: 2/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r2
Volume of cone inverse to half-sphere: 1/3 [tex]\pi[/tex]r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working this for the last three days and can't see how the answer is derived. The best I've been able to do is work out a cone with height and radius [tex]\alpha[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex]= r-h

But I haven't had any success this way, and question its usefulness.

If need be, I can post what the answer is supposed to be, I'm just interested in how its derived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
navybuttons said:

Homework Statement

Use Cavalieri's Principle to find the volume of a spherical segment of one base and thinckness h if the radius of the sphere is r.

Homework Equations

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2826/sphere1.jpg

Volume of half-sphere: 2/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r2
Volume of cone inverse to half-sphere: 1/3 [tex]\pi[/tex]r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working this for the last three days and can't see how the answer is derived. The best I've been able to do is work out a cone with height and radius [tex]\alpha[/tex] where [tex]\alpha[/tex]= r-h

But I haven't had any success this way, and question its usefulness.

If need be, I can post what the answer is supposed to be, I'm just interested in how its derived.

Le Cavalieris principle is about functions in the plane (2d) that are "hightened" into space (3d) by revolving them about the x-axis. A cut half circle would do here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have made a good start by using Cavalieri's Principle, which states that if two solids have the same height and their cross-sectional areas are equal at every height, then their volumes are equal.

To find the volume of a spherical segment, we can use a similar approach as finding the volume of a cone. The key is to find the cross-sectional area of the spherical segment at every height. Let's start with the cross-sectional area at the top of the segment, which is a circle with radius r. This is the same as the cross-sectional area of the half-sphere, which is 1/2 of the volume of the sphere. So, the volume of the top part of the spherical segment is 1/2 of the volume of the sphere, which is 2/3 πr^3.

Now, let's look at the cross-sectional area at the bottom of the segment, which is a circle with radius r-h. This is the same as the cross-sectional area of the cone inverse to the half-sphere, which is 1/3 of the volume of the half-sphere. So, the volume of the bottom part of the spherical segment is 1/3 of 2/3 πr^3, which is 2/9 πr^3.

To find the volume of the middle part of the segment, we can use Cavalieri's Principle. Imagine slicing the spherical segment into thin horizontal slices. At each height, the cross-sectional area is a circle with radius r - h. So, the volume of each slice is 1/3 of the volume of the cone inverse to the half-sphere, which is 1/9 πr^3. The height of each slice is dh, so the volume of the middle part of the segment is the integral of 1/9 πr^3 dh from h to r, which is 1/9 πr^3 (r-h).

Therefore, the total volume of the spherical segment is 2/3 πr^3 + 2/9 πr^3 + 1/9 πr^3 (r-h) = 1/3 πr^2h.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Is the Volume of a Spherical Segment Calculated Using Cavalieri's Principle?

1. What is a spherical segment?

A spherical segment is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by slicing a sphere with a plane. It consists of a circular base and a curved surface connecting the base to the top of the sphere.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a spherical segment?

The formula for calculating the volume of a spherical segment is V = (πh^2/6) * (3r-h), where h is the height of the segment and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Can the volume of a spherical segment be negative?

No, the volume of a spherical segment cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space occupied by the segment.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a spherical segment?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a spherical segment depends on the units used for the radius and height. For example, if the radius is measured in meters and the height in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic meters times centimeters (m^3*cm).

5. Can the volume of a spherical segment be larger than the volume of the entire sphere?

Yes, the volume of a spherical segment can be larger than the volume of the entire sphere if the height of the segment is greater than half of the sphere's diameter. In this case, the segment will have a volume greater than half of the sphere's volume.