Finding Volume of Dome-Shape Confined Between Cylinders and xy-Plane

• Thread starter Inertigratus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a dome-shaped solid between two cylinders and the xy-plane. The solution involves dividing the xy-plane into 4 triangles and using symmetry to simplify the integration process. The final volume is found to be 1/8th of the volume of a length 4, radius 2 cylinder. The conversation also mentions finding the intersections of the two functions and dividing the xy-plane into 8 areas to simplify the task further.
Inertigratus
Volume of "dome"-shape

Homework Statement

Find the volume between of the shape that is confined between the two cylinders and the xy-plane. Maybe I have understood it wrong, but after drawing them it looks like the intersection is a dome-looking shape. So I'm guessing the volume that I have to find is between the dome and the ground (xy-plane).

Homework Equations

The two cylinders
[itex]x^2 = 4 - 4z[/itex]
[itex]y^2 = 4 - 4z[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do this. I know that [itex]x = y = +- 2[/itex] when [itex]z = 0[/itex] and [itex]x = y = 0[/itex] when [itex]z = 1[/itex].
I thought that maybe adding the two equations can give an equation for how z varies with x and y.
[itex]x^2 + y^2 = 8 - 8z[/itex] and then solve for z and take the integral of z.
In polar coordinates, the radius varies from 0 to 2. That gives me a volume of 3 pi.
The volume is supposed to be 8... any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

The function for the height of the dome at a given (x,y) is going to have to be piece wise because at some points it's the first cylinder and at some points the second cylinder. That's probably why you're having trouble finding the function to integrate. My advice is to split the xy-plane into 4 triangles for which the volume above them is equal. Then you can find the non-piecewise function above a single triangle, integrate that, and multiply by 4.

Actually, there is even more symmetry to the problem. You can use symmetry to work out that the volume of each triangle based part is 1/8th the volume of a length 4, radius 2 cylinder.

Thanks, I understand now that I traced the domain on paper. However, how do I get the function for the height?
Do I add the two equations, solve for z and use that, or do I use one half of the sum of the two equations and solve for z?

Also, could you explain the last part? I'm not that good at understanding symmetry...

Inertigratus said:
Thanks, I understand now that I traced the domain on paper. However, how do I get the function for the height?
Do I add the two equations, solve for z and use that, or do I use one half of the sum of the two equations and solve for z?

Also, could you explain the last part? I'm not that good at understanding symmetry...

You should find the intersections of the two functions. This is the line where the dome has a "sharp edge".
To do this you should equal [itex]f_1(x,y)=f_2(x,y)[/itex]
What you obtain are the two lines [itex]y=x, y=-x[/itex].
This lines, together with the other boudaries where [itex]f_1(x,y)=f_2(x,y)=0[/itex], will divide the domain on the xy plane into 4 parts.
You should integrate under one of these areas per time.
Then you should understand that you can is very simple to obtain the whole solid.

Someone else suggested you can further divide that xy plane into 8 areas and so simplify the task more.

Ohh, thanks! My math skills are a little rusty hehe... was just looking at an example in my book that is almost identical. I totally forgot about the whole projection-on-the-xy-plane.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a dome-shape?

The formula for calculating the volume of a dome-shape is V = (1/3)πr2h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the dome.

2. How do you measure the height of a dome-shape for volume calculation?

The height of a dome-shape can be measured by finding the vertical distance from the base to the highest point of the dome. This can be done using tools such as a measuring tape or ruler.

3. Can the volume of a dome-shape be calculated if the radius is not known?

No, the radius is a necessary component for calculating the volume of a dome-shape. It is the distance from the center of the base to the edge of the dome, and without it, the formula cannot be used.

4. How does the volume of a dome-shape compare to other shapes?

The volume of a dome-shape is typically smaller than other shapes with the same base area and height. This is because the curved surface of the dome takes up less space compared to the flat surfaces of other shapes.

5. How can the volume of a dome-shape be used in real-world applications?

The volume of a dome-shape is often used in architecture and construction to determine the amount of materials needed for building a dome structure. It is also used in designing storage tanks and other curved structures that require precise volume calculations.