How Does Fluid Dynamics Affect Pressure and Flow in Constricted Pipes?

In summary, the conversation discusses a horizontal pipe with different diameters on each end and the flow of water through it. The volume of water flowing into the atmosphere during a 10 minute period is calculated using the equation ∆V=v2πr²∆t=(15 m/s)π(.015 m)²(600 s)=6.36 m³. The speed v2 in the left section of the pipe is found using A1V1=A2V2, with a cross-sectional area of (7.07 cm²)(15 m/s)/(19.6 cm²)=5.41 m/s. The gauge pressure is determined to be the difference between the p2 and p1 (which is equal to atmospheric
Jeann25
There is a drawing of a pipe, with the left end (diameter = 5.0 cm, v2) being wider than the right end (diameter = 3.0 cm, v1). Water flows through a horizontal pipe and then out into the atmosphere at a speed v1=15 m/s.

a. What volume of water flows into the atmosphere during a 10 minute period?

Here I used the equation ∆V=v2πr²∆t=(15 m/s)π(.015 m)²(600 s)=6.36 m³

b. In the left section of the pipe, what is the speed v2?

Can I just use A1V1=A2V2? And use a cross-sectional area?
(7.07 cm²)(15 m/s)/(19.6 cm²)=5.41 m/s

c. In the left section of pipe, what is the gauge pressure?

Would the gauge pressure be the difference between the p2 and p1(which is equal to atmospheric pressure=1 atm)? So could I use Bernoulli's Equation as: p2=1/2ρ(v1)²-1/2ρ(v2)²+p1

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeann25 said:
There is a drawing of a pipe, with the left end (diameter = 5.0 cm, v2) being wider than the right end (diameter = 3.0 cm, v1). Water flows through a horizontal pipe and then out into the atmosphere at a speed v1=15 m/s.
a. What volume of water flows into the atmosphere during a 10 minute period?
Here I used the equation ∆V=v2πr²∆t=(15 m/s)π(.015 m)²(600 s)=6.36 m³

Looks fine.

b. In the left section of the pipe, what is the speed v2?
Can I just use A1V1=A2V2? And use a cross-sectional area?
(7.07 cm²)(15 m/s)/(19.6 cm²)=5.41 m/s

Yes that is right. The important principle is conservation of mass, you have to have the same mass go in one end that goes out the other end (we're assuming that water is incompressible). So the formula would be:

[tex]\Delta V_1 = \Delta V_2[/tex]

The volume of water going out side 1 must be the same as the volume going in side 2.

So

[tex]A_1 v_1 t \rho = A_2 v_2 t \rho [/tex]

Since [tex]t[/tex] and [tex]\rho[/tex] are the same at both ends of the pipe they cancel and you get

[tex] A_1 v_1 = A_2 v_2[/tex]

Just like you used. So in fewer words, yes that is correct.

c. In the left section of pipe, what is the gauge pressure?
Would the gauge pressure be the difference between the p2 and p1(which is equal to atmospheric pressure=1 atm)? So could I use Bernoulli's Equation as: p2=1/2ρ(v1)²-1/2ρ(v2)²+p1

The gauge pressure should be the pressure at the left end of the pipe minus one atmosphere, I believe. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

What is the definition of "volume of flow in a pipe"?

The volume of flow in a pipe refers to the amount of fluid that passes through the pipe in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in units of volume per unit time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

How is the volume of flow in a pipe calculated?

The volume of flow in a pipe can be calculated using the formula Q = A * V, where Q is the volume of flow, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the average velocity of the fluid. This formula is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of fluid entering a pipe must be equal to the volume of fluid exiting the pipe.

What factors affect the volume of flow in a pipe?

The volume of flow in a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity and density of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid. Additionally, the presence of any obstacles or bends in the pipe can also affect the volume of flow.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume of flow in a pipe?

The volume of flow in a pipe is directly proportional to the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe. This means that as the pressure increases, the volume of flow also increases, and vice versa. However, this relationship is only valid if all other factors, such as pipe diameter and fluid properties, remain constant.

How is the volume of flow in a pipe measured?

The volume of flow in a pipe can be measured using various instruments, such as flow meters or pressure gauges. These instruments work by measuring the velocity, pressure, or volume of the fluid and using this information to calculate the volume of flow. Additionally, the volume of flow can also be estimated by measuring the height of the fluid in a container over a given time period.