Volume of Rotated Shapes: Finding the Volume using the Disk Method

In summary, the problem is to find the volume when rotating the given functions around the lines y=3 and y=-1. The correct approach is to use the equation \pi\int (R^2-r^2)dx, not \pi\int (R-r)^2dx. The correct answers are 46pi/3 and 50pi/3 respectively.
pinkerpikachu

Homework Statement

Use the functions:
y=x+1, y=0, x=0, x=2

Find the volume when rotated around y=3
Find the volume when rotated around y=-1

Homework Equations

PI[tex]\int[/tex] R2dx or perhaps PI[tex]\int[/tex] R2 - r2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think that this is a particularly hard question, but I just can't seem to get the right answer. (perhaps I'm making a silly mistake)

So first I graphed the equations, all in the first quadrant, vertical line at x=2. bounded region looks like a trapezoid.

attempt:
PI[tex]\int[/tex] (from 0-2) of [3-(x+1)]2 dx

however the answer is 46pi/3 and I get 8pi/3 <-- very obviously wrong.
is this a washer method problem?

for the next, PI[tex]\int[/tex] (from 0-2) of [1+(x+1)]2 dx

i get 32pi/3 and the answer is 50pi/3thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkerpikachu said:

Homework Statement

Use the functions:
y=x+1, y=0, x=0, x=2

Find the volume when rotated around y=3
Find the volume when rotated around y=-1

Homework Equations

PI[tex]\int[/tex] R2dx or perhaps PI[tex]\int[/tex] R2 - r2dx
It's the second one.
pinkerpikachu said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think that this is a particularly hard question, but I just can't seem to get the right answer. (perhaps I'm making a silly mistake)

So first I graphed the equations, all in the first quadrant, vertical line at x=2. bounded region looks like a trapezoid.

attempt:
PI[tex]\int[/tex] (from 0-2) of [3-(x+1)]2 dx
The volume of your typical volume element is [itex]\Delta V = \pi (R^2 - r^2) \Delta x[/itex]. It's not [itex]\Delta V = \pi (R - r)^2 \Delta x[/itex]. Do you see what you're doing wrong?
pinkerpikachu said:
however the answer is 46pi/3 and I get 8pi/3 <-- very obviously wrong.
is this a washer method problem?

for the next, PI[tex]\int[/tex] (from 0-2) of [1+(x+1)]2 dx

i get 32pi/3 and the answer is 50pi/3

What is "Volume using the disk method"?

"Volume using the disk method" is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a solid object that is generated by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. It is often used in calculus and can be applied to various shapes such as circles, rectangles, and triangles.

How is the volume using the disk method calculated?

The volume using the disk method is calculated by taking the integral of the cross-sectional area of the shape being rotated with respect to the rotation axis. This means that the shape is divided into infinitely thin disks, and the volume of each disk is calculated and then summed up to find the total volume.

What are the limitations of using the disk method to calculate volume?

The disk method is only applicable to shapes that can be rotated around a fixed axis. Additionally, the shape must have a known equation that can be integrated to find the volume. It also assumes that the shape being rotated is a solid object without any holes or voids.

Can the disk method be used for irregular shapes?

No, the disk method is only applicable to regular and symmetrical shapes. If the shape is irregular, the volume can be approximated by dividing it into smaller regular shapes and using the disk method on each individual shape. However, this may not be as accurate as using other methods such as the shell method.

How is the disk method used in real-world applications?

The disk method is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. It is also used in manufacturing and construction industries to determine the amount of material needed for a specific shape or design. Additionally, it has applications in medicine, such as calculating the volume of blood vessels or organs in the human body.