Volumetic Analysis - calculate concentration

In summary, the conversation is about a Chemistry homework problem involving volumetric analysis and calculating the concentration of ammonia in a solution. The problem is solved with the help of online resources and the conversation ends with gratitude for the offer of assistance.
Mr Mooch
Please Help! Volumetic Analysis - calculate concentration

Dear Physics Forum Fiends,

I was wondering if anyone out there who needs to earn some extra points to get into heaven perhaps or is simply feeling extraordinarily generous, might like to give this problem a go?
I am woefully lost in chemistry!

Homework Statement

A 25.00mL sample of 'Cloudy Ammonia' was diluted to a volume of 250.00mL in a volumetric flask. A 25.00mL aliquot of the diluted solution was titrated with 0.200 M hydrochloric acid. To reach the end point, 26.75 mL of acid was required.
Calculate the concentration of ammonia in the cloudy ammonia.

Homework Equations

NH3 + HCl > NH4Cl

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF:
This is an acid-base titration calculation ... from the look of it, this is part of a course so you should find examples in your course notes. Failing that - there are many many online.

Give the calculation an honest try and we'll help you out where you get stuck.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I just got some help from somewhere else which has helped me to understand what's going on a lot better.

Thanks,

...but I really appreciate your offer of assistance!

Best wishes,

1. How is the concentration of a solution determined using volumetric analysis?

In volumetric analysis, the concentration of a solution is determined by measuring the volume of a known concentration of a substance needed to react completely with a measured volume of the solution being analyzed. This is known as titration.

2. What is the purpose of using an indicator in volumetric analysis?

An indicator is used in volumetric analysis to signal the end point of a titration. It changes color at the point of complete reaction, allowing for precise measurement of the volume of solution needed to reach the end point.

3. How is the concentration of an unknown solution calculated using volumetric analysis?

The concentration of an unknown solution can be calculated using the formula: concentration of unknown solution = (concentration of known solution x volume of known solution) / volume of unknown solution. This is based on the principle of molarity, where the concentration is measured in moles per liter.

4. What are some common sources of error in volumetric analysis?

Some common sources of error in volumetric analysis include inaccurate measurements of volume, improper calibration of equipment, human error in recording data, and variations in the purity of the substances used.

5. Can volumetric analysis be used for any type of solution?

Volumetric analysis can be used for a wide range of solutions, including acidic or basic solutions, solutions with unknown concentrations, and solutions containing multiple substances. However, the appropriate techniques and indicators may vary depending on the specific solution being analyzed.