Acids and Bases calculation problems

In summary, when calculating the pH of mixtures of weak acids and bases, it is common practice to assume that neutralization has gone to completion and the concentrations of products are given by the reaction stoichiometry. This approximation works well for weak acids/bases with pKa/pKb values between 3.5-10.5 and concentrations not below 10^-3 M.
kenshi64

Homework Statement

Data for Question B:
(initial)[CH3COOH] = 0.500 mol dm–3 and) eqm [CH3COOH] = 0.200 mol dm–3;
(initial)[CH3COO–] = 0.300 mol dm–3 and) eqm [CH3COO–] = 0.300 mol dm–3;

The Attempt at a Solution

Question A) " FInd the pH of a mixture of 50.0 cm3 of 0.100 mol dm–3 aqueous ammonia and 50.0 cm3 of 0.0500 mol dm–3 hydrochloric acid solution"

The teacher told us to do this by equating [NH3] to [NH4]. I just don't get the logic! Ammonia is a weak base, so it's initial concentration in undissociated form is unchanged and stoichiometrically its products are formed in 1:1 ratios, but I haven't ever seen THIS relationship anywhere, can someone please explain this to me?

Question B) " Determine the pH of a solution formed from adding 50.0 cm3 of 1.00 mol dm–3 ethanoic acid, CH3COOH(aq), to 50.0 cm3 of 0.600 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxide, NaOH(aq)." Refer data provided.

One would assume if a weak base behaved as seen above a weak acid would too but the answer booklet implies that ethanoic acid doesn't! Which is peculiar!
[CH3C00H] DOESN'T EQUAL [CH3COO-] apparently!? And how on Earth will [CH3COO-] have a initial concentration at all?!

How does that make sense? I can understand the equilibrium concentration being hte difference between acid and base concentration, 0.3 mol dm3 makes sense, but the INITIAL concentration MUST be an error!?

Thank you a lot! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
kenshi64 said:
The teacher told us to do this by equating [NH3] to [NH4]. I just don't get the logic! Ammonia is a weak base, so it's initial concentration in undissociated form is unchanged and stoichiometrically its products are formed in 1:1 ratios, but I haven't ever seen THIS relationship anywhere, can someone please explain this to me?

This is only an approximation, but it is known to work quite well as long as the weak acid/base is not too weak nor too strong. You just assume neutralization went to completion so concentrations of the products are given by the reaction stoichiometry.

Try to apply this logic to both questions, you will see why [NH3] = [NH4+], and why [CH3COOH] ≠ [CH3COO-].

Borek said:
This is only an approximation, but it is known to work quite well as long as the weak acid/base is not too weak nor too strong. You just assume neutralization went to completion so concentrations of the products are given by the reaction stoichiometry.

Try to apply this logic to both questions, you will see why [NH3] = [NH4+], and why [CH3COOH] ≠ [CH3COO-].

Aah Borek! My old friend! ;)

Well I know the logic doesn't apply because the answer book says it doesn't but the first para answered by question. However this is so silly because I cannot tell with any certainty which rule I should follow when!?

What is the other rule you can follow?

You can assume if pKa (pKb) is somewhere between 3.5-10.5 (note 10.5=14-3.5) and concentration not below 10-3M assumption about neutralization being stoichiometric is correct. Note that it covers 99% of buffers used in practice.

Dear student,

I understand your confusion about these problems. Let's start with Question A. In this case, we are dealing with a mixture of a weak base (ammonia) and a strong acid (hydrochloric acid). When weak bases react with strong acids, the weak base is considered to be completely consumed in the reaction. This means that all of the ammonia will be converted to ammonium ions (NH4+). So, we can equate the initial concentration of ammonia to the final concentration of ammonium ions, which will be equal to the concentration of the hydrochloric acid solution. This is why we can set [NH3] = [NH4+] = 0.0500 mol dm-3. From there, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the pH of the resulting solution.

For Question B, we are dealing with a mixture of a weak acid (ethanoic acid) and a strong base (sodium hydroxide). In this case, the weak acid will not be completely consumed in the reaction, so we cannot equate the initial concentration of ethanoic acid to the final concentration of acetate ions (CH3COO-). The initial concentration of ethanoic acid will remain the same, while the concentration of acetate ions will increase due to the reaction with sodium hydroxide. This is why we cannot simply set [CH3COOH] = [CH3COO-] in this case.

I hope this helps to clarify the logic behind these calculations. It's important to remember the differences between strong and weak acids and bases, and how they behave in reactions with each other. Keep practicing and asking questions, and you will continue to improve your understanding of these concepts. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Acids and Bases calculation problems

1. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates protons (H+ ions) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts protons. This is known as the Arrhenius definition of acids and bases. Another commonly used definition is the Brønsted-Lowry definition, where acids are defined as proton donors and bases are defined as proton acceptors.

2. How do you calculate the pH of an acid or base?

The pH of an acid or base can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. For example, a solution with a [H+] of 1x10^-3 moles per liter would have a pH of 3. Alternatively, the pH of a solution can also be determined using a pH meter or pH indicator strips.

3. What is the relationship between pH and pOH?

pH and pOH are two ways to measure the concentration of hydrogen ions (pH) and hydroxide ions (pOH) in a solution. The two values are related by the equation pH + pOH = 14. This means that as the pH of a solution decreases, the pOH increases and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the concentration of an acid or base?

The concentration of an acid or base can be calculated using the formula M = n/V, where M represents molarity (moles per liter), n represents the number of moles of the substance, and V represents the volume of the solution in liters. It is important to make sure that all units are consistent when using this formula.

5. How do you determine the strength of an acid or base?

The strength of an acid or base can be determined by looking at its dissociation constant (Ka for acids, Kb for bases). The higher the value of Ka or Kb, the stronger the acid or base. Another way to determine strength is by measuring the pH of a solution. A lower pH indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pH indicates a stronger base.