1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voulme of an ice cream cone bound by a sphere

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of an ice cream cone bounded by the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and the cone z=sqrt(x^2+y^2-1)

2. Relevant equations
    The two simultaneous equations yield x^2+y^2=1

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

z=sqrt(x^2+y^2-1) is NOT the equation of a cone- it is a hyperboloid.

z= sqrt{x^2+ y^2) would be (the upper nappe of) a cone with vertex at the origin with sides making angle [itex]\pi/4[/itex] with the xy-plane.

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your response, so is it logical to re-arrange the integral limits such that it becomes:
    Volume of cone =integral(limits theta= 0 to pi/4)integral(limits r=0 to 1/sqrt2)[sqrt((1-r^2)-r)dr d theta.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you are going to have to define the cone part! If it is z= sqrt{x^2+ y^2}, then yes, you take, in polar coordinates, [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]\pi/4[/itex]. However, r goes from 0 to 1, not [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] because you are going up to the spherical cap.

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    The "cone" part is given as z= sqrt{x^2+ y^2-1} which I agree is not an equation for a cone but a hyperboloid as you mentioned above. What is troubling me is how to deal with the (-1) inside the sqrt.

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6
    Any ideas please, I am stuck.

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7
    Did you ever get this figured out?
    I am working on the same problem with the exact same issue .. the -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?