1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W particle and beta decay

1. Sep 9, 2004 #1
    w particle and beta decay and muons

How many w particles,at any instant in time, are there in one cubic metre of a mass of radioactive nuclei which undergo beta decay?
    And how fast do these w particles move on average?
    How many w particles are,at any instant in time, in the neighbourhood of a muon that strikes the upper atmosphere of the Earth?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2004 #2
    Short answer: None, unless some of those nuclei/muon have an energy greater than 80 GeV, in which case a real W might be produced (it decays away very quickly though).

Longer answer: you're probably thinking of virtual particles "constantly being emitted and re-absorbed" by the nuclei/muon. Since virtual states are not observable, this is not a physically meaningful question.

4. Sep 9, 2004 #3
    How many particles are emitted in a radioactive nuclei undergoing beta decay?? Uhhhh, if I'm not wrong isn't it dependent on how radioactive it is, how many becquerels stuff like that? I don't think the rate of radioactivity is constant right?

btw, to zefram_c, are the W particles emitted by a quark during beta decay virtual or real?? Are if I'm not wrong W particles are pretty massive, is there something about the higgs mechanism which cause this mass? or is it something else?

5. Sep 9, 2004 #4
    That's right, but the original question asked about W particles. I don't know how you define the rate (# decays/sec maybe), but the probability that a given nucleus decays per unit time is constant.
    They cannot be real in the decay of an isolated particle. However, if a nucleus that has an energy great enough scatters off another nucleus, it can emit a real W in the process.
    The Higgs mechanism is what generates the mass, yes. But the details of that should probably go in a different thread.

6. Sep 10, 2004 #5

In decay the W particles are virtual, yet as we all know they can become real when there is enough energy "around" that is used to give these virtual particles a legitimate reason to exist. Conservation of energy can be violated in QFT for a short while and this time period is determined by the Heisenberg-uncertainty principle between energy and time.

regards
    marlon

and yes, the mass of the gauge bosons is acquired through interaction with the omnipresent Higgsfield after the spontanuous breakdown :eek: of symmetry of the QCD-vacuum (the U(1)-symmetry, right...)

:tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?