How Can I Develop a Soft, Safe Smart Pillow That Detects Impact?

• Thread starter watsgoing
  • Start date
SE!In summary, the conversation is about creating a pillow-shaped device that can measure the impact of a bare hand fist, jumping, or other hard hits inside the home. The device should only contain foam and no hard sensors or circuits that could hurt the hand. The idea of using a small air pressure sensor or a small hard core inside a larger soft pillow is discussed. The need for this device is related to the speaker's daughter, who is a martial artist, and her training using punch shields with built-in displays.
watsgoing
Hi guys
I want to create a pillow shaped device which would be able to read the punching impact of a bare hand fist or a person jumping on it or any kind of hard hitting on it inside home. It basically will be a pillow only with foam in it. I don't want to measure the exact force applied, but should be able to differentiate between hard and soft force applied. It should not have any hard sensor or any kind of circuit part that can hurt the hand.

I was thinking that we can implant some kind of small air pressure sensor inside but I am not sure. Will it be small/soft enough?

May be we can have a small hard core inside of it like a small hard pillow inside a bigger soft pillow.

Please guys, help me out here. Its really important for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org

My daughter is a martial artist and during her training she has used punch shields that have a built-in display on it's back side that show force or reaction time. I tried to google for one with no luck however.

Welcome to PF

Related to How Can I Develop a Soft, Safe Smart Pillow That Detects Impact?

1. What is a 'Smart Pillow' and how does it work?

A 'Smart Pillow' is a pillow that incorporates technology to enhance the comfort and functionality of a traditional pillow. It typically includes features such as adjustable firmness, temperature control, and sleep tracking capabilities. The pillow works by using sensors and/or a smartphone app to monitor and adjust these features based on the user's preferences and needs.

2. What are the potential benefits of using a 'Smart Pillow'?

The potential benefits of using a 'Smart Pillow' include improved sleep quality, reduced neck and back pain, and increased comfort. The adjustable features can also cater to individual sleep preferences, making it a more personalized sleep experience. Additionally, the sleep tracking capabilities can provide insight into sleep patterns and help identify potential issues with sleep.

3. Are there any downsides to using a 'Smart Pillow'?

Some potential downsides to using a 'Smart Pillow' may include a higher price point compared to traditional pillows, potential technical malfunctions, and the need for regular charging or battery replacements. Additionally, some users may find the added technology to be disruptive to their sleep rather than beneficial.

4. Can a 'Smart Pillow' help with sleep disorders?

While a 'Smart Pillow' may provide some benefits for individuals with sleep disorders, it is not a replacement for medical treatment or therapy. The pillow's features may help improve comfort and promote better sleep, but it is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper treatment of sleep disorders.

5. How can I choose the right 'Smart Pillow' for me?

When choosing a 'Smart Pillow', consider your sleep preferences and needs. Look for features that align with your specific concerns, such as adjustable firmness for neck pain or temperature control for hot sleepers. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare different brands to find the best fit for you.