Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to measure 2 different angles and make a calculation

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    i have a project where I need to measure 2 different angles and then take those 2 measurements and compute a final number. I was thinking about using inclinometers to do the measuring of the angles but am really stuck on what hardware/software to use. I was hoping to find something that is already off the shelf and can be purchased for a relatively reasonable amount. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas, your help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2
    if you need more info on what I am trying to do please just ask....thanks!

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    Welcome to Physics Forums

Since this is the electrical engineering forum and angles (apart from phase angles) are mechanical I think a clear statement of purpose is appropriate.

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why don't you just tell us instead of waiting to be asked?

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Can you draw us a picture of your setup (the more detailed the better), and/or elaborate on what it is that you're trying to measure? There are a great many ways to measure angles, however, none are universally applicable. As well, what sort of output are you looking for? Are you interfacing with a microcontroller? Do you just want a display of the angle? Do you need it on your PC?

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire, "Help us help you!"

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6
    sure, didn't know if it really was important what i'm trying to measure....measuring the angle in which rail is tilted inwards towards the inside of the track and then want to do compute a final number dependent on the 2 measured angles.

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

One device you can use to measure the angle is a "rotary encoder" -- you would probably want to use the absolute angle measuring version:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...der&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=rotary+enco

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    yes i know how to measure the angles that I need to measure but am stuck on the next piece of hardware/software to use that would take my 2 signals/outputs and make a final calculation

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, the two most common ways would be to use a microcontroller (uC), or use a data aquisition device interfaced to a PC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook